Top Shelf Aquatics

Casper's Low Tide Tank (20 gal long)

awcasper

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
this tank is sweet! i wonder if there's actually a way to replicate the tidal cycles on this system. just a thought.

From the movie, it looks like the loc-line and overflow design actually kind of do that. No?

• 2 weeks later...

So I took out that fred Flintstone's house looking rock. My YWG loved it, but it took too much space. Now he is hiding in the back with the other gobies.

Too bad, but, I'm gonna need plenty of sandbed space for my next experiment. I'm still moving things around.

I put in the Halimeda rock from the frag tank. I'm gonna have to keep it trimmed since it is closer to the front.

The Reef-Smart LED light I'm using is giving me good growth, but I'm not digging the 1:1 white to blue. I want more blue. The Montipora digitatas are happy and branching, but the mushrooms aren't opening all the way. I'm gonna talk to John about getting a 1:2 fixture. Other than that, I happy I switched over from my Icecap 660 T5.

Pics!

IMG_2906.jpg

IMG_2908.jpg

IMG_2917.jpg

IMG_2918.jpg

looks awsome! I got a 20g long in my shed i might have to break out now. But, 1more tank and i might be taking its place in the shed! LOL! looks great though...

looks awsome! I got a 20g long in my shed i might have to break out now. But, 1more tank and i might be taking its place in the shed! LOL! looks great though...

Do eeeeettt!!!!!

Dig the top down pic.

Thanks, bro!

My new toy Bubble Magus dosing pump. Loving it!

IMG_2947.jpg

Using some one gallon plastic containers for calcium and alkalinity.

IMG_2948.jpg

Still need to tidy up the wires behind the tank.

IMG_2949.jpg

Ordered some snails and oar grass from John at Reef Cleaners

IMG_2934.jpg

IMG_2930.jpg

IMG_2931.jpg

IMG_2933.jpg

Trying to tie the oar grass to a pvc pipe so it doesn't float away.

IMG_2935.jpg

In the tank.

IMG_2937.jpg

DIY screen kit from Home Depot.

IMG_2941.jpg

IMG_2942.jpg

Done!

IMG_2943.jpg

Much better.^^

IMG_2946.jpg

Got a special package from Cherry Corals: superman montipora digitata and freebie blue acro!!!!!!!1!!!

IMG_2939.jpg

FTS 12/17/10

IMG_2936.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Quick status report:

Swapped out the Feedneedit T5 in the sump for a 24" Reef Brite. What a difference! Now the sand bed is cleaned up a bit.

I got a package today. What do you call a plate coral that frags itself? Diaseris fragilis! I was told these particular guys came from Indonesia in 60-70 feet of water on the reef floor. Checking with Corals of the World, it says they are widespread, from Japan, the Phillipines, Australia, Malaysia, and even Western Central America.

IMG_3380.jpg

IMG_3378.jpg

IMG_3377.jpg

IMG_3385.jpg

FTS 2/16/11

IMG_3383.jpg

IMG_3384.jpg

IMG_3382.jpg

• 2 months later...

Update: 3/20/11

FTS

IMG_3493.jpg

IMG_3495.jpg

IMG_3500.jpg

IMG_3336.jpg

Firefish jumped a few days ago. When I found it, it looked like jerky.

IMG_3518.jpg

IMG_3531.jpg

Goodies on the fragarack

IMG_3540.jpg

IMG_3541.jpg

Got some more diaseris plates:

IMG_3496.jpg

IMG_3501.jpg

IMG_3506.jpg

IMG_3507.jpg

IMG_3511.jpg

IMG_3508.jpg

IMG_3537.jpg

IMG_3521.jpg

Mushroom beats diaseris plate

IMG_3535.jpg

FTS 4/24/11

418bf432.jpg

ca96c74c.jpg

5b2643a4.jpg

8ab5a5b3.jpg

5a10a575.jpg

• 1 month later...

Where did you get your Diaseris? I've been looking around for them but they're not particularly common to the trade. Thanks!

captainbastard
Where did you get your Diaseris? I've been looking around for them but they're not particularly common to the trade. Thanks!

I'm guessing Neptune Aquatics judging by his posts. They always have great stuff when I go there :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hey folks. I'm hanging out in Viet Nam for a few months, so I'm away from the tank. Yes, it is stressful to be away.... =/

I got the plates from a guy name Rudy in Oregon. There's a frag for sale at Neptune's in the LED tank.

• 3 months later...

I think of it as a living blacklight poster.^^

castiel: Thanks! It is hard not to overpack the tank. I've been thinning stuff out.

• 1 month later...

Archived