SaltCritters.com

Short lighting for a tall (Hex) tank

Chick8198

I have a 30 Gallon Hex, I think the dimensions are 20x17x25 1/2. I am interested in keeping zoos, softies, mushrooms, and other small polyps.

Here's the problem -- the tank is tall (25 inches) but narrow (17 x 20 inches)...the highest wattage pc that fits on the tank that I have been able to find only brings the lighting up to about 64 watts for 30 gallons. Doesn't really seem to be enough...

But, does it really make sense for me to get metal halides, based on what I am keeping? Also, the small area would not allow me to keep any actinics on the tank, if there was a metal halide pendant. I am also a bit afraid that the voltage would blow a fuse in the apartment, or that I would electrocute myself setting it up...unless someone could recommend an extremely easy to understand COMPLETE setup that's under $300.

I'm getting a bonus soon, so I have to decide...before the money's all gone. :) Any advice?

a 70 watt halide just isn't enough, so I'd go with a 175 watt MH

here is a pendant setup that comes with a 10000K or 5500K bulb

link

that is $250 for the complete setup if you are not a DIYer

HTH

aqua_aaron

i'm not a metal halide expert however I think that 400 watt option would be too much light. the 100 watt fixture may be perfect depending on the color temp of the light. if it's nice and white, then the tank will look more pleasing than if the bulb is maybe a 5500K or even 4300K yellowish light. i would find out from the company what color temp the halide bulbs is

HTH

aqua_aaron

You could try one of those 96watt Quad PC lights. But with the corals you specified you want to keep, it's cool to look at them with just actinics on. You can't do that with the Quad PC. You could always just spend your bonus money on something else, such as buying me a new Tag-Heuer watch. :D

I think the prob with the 96 PCs is that they would be too wide for the tank...as far as the watch, the problem is what do I get out of it?!? :)

Aaron...I was looking at a 100 and a 175 (I think) on there...do you think that the 100 would be sufficient?

Also, what would be the difference in what I could keep with the 100w vs. the 175w? If I'm spending the money, I'd like to keep my future options as open as possible, save myself the cash in case I want more. :)

i'd get a 175 watter because in joint with the tank, you will be able to keep almost everything- softies and low lighters near middle of tank and if you enjoy the hobby, later on SPS, up near the top. also, it looks like your best bet is the 175 watt sunburst daylight. although it's a little more than the other 175 watters, it probably has a higher color temp bulb.

then again, those prices for the Sunburst get closer pricewise to the 10000K option I showed you (which would be a good investment).

HTH

aqua_aaron

who...hidden reef, yea just give em a call and they'll get ya that setup pronto :)

if you can't find their phone#, it's (215) 698-6668

HTH

aqua_aaron

Thanks! See, now you can tell how lazy I am, making you do all the research and all!

Should I be concerned that the light would short out a fuse in my apartment? Or is that not really a big concern?

Archived