Innovative Marine Aquariums

Using my office drinking water?

Genj

Looks like it is RO filtered, which is kind of gross because RO water tastes like crap.

The only way to be safe is test the TDS

Says RO or micro filter, so which one is it?

Looks like it is RO filtered, which is kind of gross because RO water tastes like crap.

The only way to be safe is test the TDS

Says RO or micro filter, so which one is it?

It's RO, not the micro filter. Funny enough, it tastes damn good, and it produces crystal clear ice cubes when freezing. I remember the TDS being 0 or 1, but I can't be certain as it was over two years ago when it was first tested.

The RO membrane should have been changed by then, if not then the TDS will probably be much higher.

IF it is that low I see no issue, just hope the boss is cool with it.

For 2 years I used water that was delivered into our office for the tank. It had minerals added back in for taste but they were calcium, magnesium.. stuff corals love. Tank never looked better honestly grew better on that water than RO/DI

Yeah, the service company changed it recently. Also it displays the total number of gallons its put out over the life.

Our office is small and luckily access to use isn't a problem.

RO membranes last for years if you keep up with the regular prefilter and carbon replacements. RO tastes great, its RO/DI that has a bland, blah taste since it contains basically nothing while RO only stll has some minerals and such for taste.

Its rare to find a RO that produces 0-1 TDS water by itself without DI unless you have extremely low tap water TDS to begin with. A RO membrane is a 90-98% efficient device so some TDS is normal in the treated water, it takes the DI resin to remove the rest.

RO membranes last for years if you keep up with the regular prefilter and carbon replacements. RO tastes great, its RO/DI that has a bland, blah taste since it contains basically nothing while RO only stll has some minerals and such for taste.

Its rare to find a RO that produces 0-1 TDS water by itself without DI unless you have extremely low tap water TDS to begin with. A RO membrane is a 90-98% efficient device so some TDS is normal in the treated water, it takes the DI resin to remove the rest.

my water comes out at 2 tds on ro and 0 on di. my tds before anything is only 75-90. bulk reef supply makes a good ro unit.

Thats about 96-97% rejection, average for most units using the Dow Filmtec 75 GPD membrane. I prefer a higher rejection rate so go with the Spectrapure systems with treated, tested and guaranteed 98+% rejection rate membranes. My RO only rejection rate averages 99.35% with a tap water TDS over 800.

Archived