Pod Your Reef

"The Vodka method" Anyone heard of dosing ethanol?

movingshadow

as a vodka (and other fine spirits...) connaisseur I have to agree with the choice of grey goose... my personal top five:

1) Ultimat Vodka

2) Precis Vodka

3) Chopin Vodka

4) Liquid Ice Vodka

5) and the regulars you get in germany and the us: jeltzin, gorbatschow, (in the us ex presidents get bills in russia a vodka...hmmmm) absolut, wyborowa, moskovskaya, ketel one, smirnoff, stoli...

since there are some successful experiments being posted about on rc, I'll try to push the other friggin' translations aside and finish compiling the data from the german experiments and the ones from rc....

After trying the Vodka method of dosing i have discovred that it does work. After about 8 shots of Absolute my tank looks awesome!! Tis true Everything looks better thru the bottom of a shot glass.

i think espi kick-started a couple tanks that way.

i'd go with the friggin cocktail shrimp before i pee in the tank. i've gots a big bladder. :blush: heard of it but i can't say i heard better results tho.

• 3 weeks later...
movingshadow

I know I know, I've been bad and haven't posted all the data...

but I just spoke with Michael Mrutzek himself, and I am getting all data from the original experiments and the second article (due to come out in a month) so I can post the data here...

I'll try to get that done this weekend....

DitchPlains

Vodka in the tank, come on guys say it with me....My Name is (fill in appropriately) and I have a problem.....LOL This thread is too funny not to post something, definately interesting ideas. I wonder does it help your tank's No3 any more if you add Pineapple juice and Chambord and shake ?? If so sign me up! lifts up nano cube and begins to shake away! Somebody needs to do this experiment fully, so I can start having people over to take a sip of my tank. :rolleyes:

I'm no biologist.. But I am a nurse. Here's my 0.02 towards the Vodka tank.

ETOH (alcohol) when consumed by humans converts to a form of glucose (sugar). That is why it is very bad for diabetics to drink and very heavy drinkers are more likely to damage their pancrease and become diabetics.

So, MY professional opinion, and only my opinion, would be that the anaerobic bacteria are capable of consuming the alcohol sugars. As the bacteria grow and become supercharged they are becomming more efficent at chowing down on the NO3 (alcohol induced munchies).

But thats just my 0.02.. For what its worth.. Now its time for a white russian!:

CheleB)

• 2 months later...
kraphtymac

Sorry... I just stumbled across this article... and being a diabetic and a biologist, I had to correct this last statement. Alcohol, when consumed by humans, is converted to acetaldehyde, then acetic acid, and the end product is acetate... which is coverted in ketones (bad for diabetics) and excreted as an acid (can cause KETOACIDOSIS) or made into fats and cholesterols. Since NAD is needed for the metabolism of alcohol, this subtracts from the NAD that is natively available for the creation of glucose (gluconeogenesis), and if stored of glycogen (later converted to glucose and used for energy) are not high enough before the onset of drinking, the blood sugar actually dips LOWER, not HIGHER.

The affect of alcohol on the body's already stressed filtration organs, as well as the toxicity to nerves on systems already exposed to reductive oxidative species from hyperglycemia is the cause of damage in diabetics... Just my two cents worth.

And vodka does work in aquariums... I only use it on tank startup though... usually dose for about 2 weeks...

Archived