Pod Your Reef

Seachem Aqua Vitro Salinity

matt12

I've been using it since I started my tank in April of this year with no problems. Since it's the only salt I've tried in about 20 years, I can't offer any comparisons, but so far I've had very good luck with my tank (knock on wood).

Great salt IMO, there is a thread from seachem themselves discussing the calcium overload caused by mixing to fast. I took thier advice and mixed it very slow. I love it. Here is what Seachem says about it.

Seachem's Aquavitro Salinity

salinity™ is a blend of salts specifically formulated for the reef aquarium that contains all essential major, minor, and trace components found in natural reef waters, but contains no toxic or non-essential components. Additionally, salinity™ is the most concentrated salt blend on the market. With a hydration level of <0.5% salinity™ will yield a greater volume of prepared saltwater at a salinity of 35‰ per unit of weight than any other salt mix currently on the market.

salinity™ is identical to the distribution of anions and cations found in Natural Sea Water (NSW). We have compiled data from all the oceans and seas on the Earth, and have targeted the midpoint of the range for each element. We guarantee to be within ± 3% of the midpoint. For example, at a salinity of 35‰, for calcium, magnesium, and strontium, we have the following targets and ranges.

Calcium: target 422 mg/L, range 409 to 435 mg/L

Magnesium: target 1336 mg/L, range 1296 to 1376 mg/L

Strontium: target 8.4 mg/L, range 8.1 to 8.7 mg/L

Alkalinity and pH values vary widely over the Earth’s oceans. salinity™ will be within the following ranges:

pH: 8.4 to 8.6

Alkalinity: 3.2 to 3.8 meq/L

Archived