Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Periwinkle snails

danthenewreefman

danthenewreefman

These snails looked so cool I thought why not try them. I will admit I missed the "only for tanks with tops" until the ordered arrived.

So to counter this I poured them all on my rock island mid tank, which doesn't touch glass. This did counter their climbing out of the tank issue.

BUT...

the highest thing on my mountain is a hammer coral. They ALL climbed to the top of the rock and then onto the hammer. Eventually they started to bother the hammer, climbing onto the white tissue below the polyp. The white tissue is now receding slightly and the polyps aren't extending hardly at all.

I moved the hammer off the rock and knocked all periwinkles off of it.

It is now sitting on frag rack on opposite side of tank, I believe it will recover. It looked WAY worse than this after transporting it from LFS.

Just a wind of caution: The periwinkles WILL crawl to top of rock work, and if coral are the highest thing in your tank....they will try crawling onto it.

danthenewreefman

after removing all the periwinkles and moving the hammer to the frag rack it appears to be regrowing the tissue that was receeding.

Archived