Innovative Marine Aquariums

What's the best media combo?

BigBad82

Here in the UK most reefers run RowaCarbon, RowaPhos with Filter Floss. The more I read about reefers tanks in the US the more I come across Chemi Pure Elite & Puigen being a good combo. So was wondering do you guys run this because RowaCarbon & RowaPhos isn't available over there or do you run it because quite simply it gets better results and is better value for money? Or do you recommend anything else?

Those are available over here. I think people like Purigen because it does absorb massive amounts of stuff, and it can be regenerated and used over and over (at least a few times). So it is cheaper, but does a good job.

When you say regenerated, what do you need to do to it to be able to use it again? also am i correct in thinking it turns dark brown/black when it's finished?

According to the Seachem site...

Regeneration: Purigen® can also be regenerated. As it adsorbs waste products, Purigen® will change color from a pale blonde to a dark brown, almost black. Once it is exhausted, it can be regenerated with a solution of bleach and water. The bleach will literally “burn off” the organics that have been removed from the tank.

Directions:

Regeneration: Soak in a 1:1 bleach:water solution for 24 hours in a non-metalic container in a well ventilated area and away from children. Rinse well, then soak for 8 hours with a solution containing 2 tablespoons of ChlorGuard™, Prime®, or equivalent dechlorinator per cup of water. Rinse well. Original color and full activity should now be restored and Purigen® is ready for reuse.

I took things a step further. I ran chemi-pure elite, purigen and rowa-phos, and filter floss. I also run a skimmer as well.

However, just within the last week, I am using the Nitrogen/Phosphate reducing pellets. I'm using the Eco-Bak pellets from Warner Marine. I removed the rowa-phos, and purigen. So far, I'm liking the reults!

I took things a step further. I ran chemi-pure elite, purigen and rowa-phos, and filter floss. I also run a skimmer as well.

However, just within the last week, I am using the Nitrogen/Phosphate reducing pellets. I'm using the Eco-Bak pellets from Warner Marine. I removed the rowa-phos, and purigen. So far, I'm liking the reults!

Not come across the pellets will have to check them out. I'm definately going to switch to chemi-pure elite just keep hearing loads of great things about it.

Archived