Cultivated Reef

Just got live rock, some cured, some not so cured, what now?

trmiv

OK, I went and picked up 26 pounds of Fiji rock for my 16g. It was advertised as cured, but some of it still has some odor to it, some I'm guessing that is not cured. Most of the stuff I got smelled clean, but there were a few big pieces that still had odor. So, I'm basically curing some live rock, but not all of it.

Should I just closely monitor the levels, and do some small water changes to make sure the ammonia doesn't spike too high, or should I just let it cycle without any water changes? I was planning on just letting it cycle, but now that I see (or smell) that some of the rock is not completely cured, I'm not so sure.

Be patient and wait about 6 weeks to make sure that your tank has cycled. You should make regukar water changes. Also test your tank regularly for ammonia, nitrate, etc.

I took of some of the stuff that was on the not-so-cured rocks, but there might be some still there. Should I take the stuff out and scrub it a bit, or just let the cycle go. The tank is new, and of course nothing else is in there, so nothing is going to get hurt by the cycle.

You could do a good rinse in a bucket with a strong powerhead/pump with salt water. Use your nose and try to pick off anything that smells bad! Let it run its course. Be patient.

I am in the same boat you are in..........Just got an AGA 16 bowfront too (also have a 58 Oceanic Reef-Ready) .The 16 Bowfront is a great tank for a micro-reef. Small enough to do the nano thing and with enough water capacity to stock it up nicely for not to much $$$ involved. I just have 10 lbs of live sand in now and looking for LR. Is 25 lbs of lr enough to fill the 16 nicely and still leave room for inverts? I was thinking 20-25 would be perfect. Wher did you get your lr? All the lfs in my area dont have "primo" lr that I am satisfied with and big $$$! I only need about 25 lbs so I want to get the BEST I can! Any mail order companys any good?

What are you thinking of for lighting and filtration? I threw a mag 350 in mine for now to keep the tank clean during the cycling........talk about turnover! Lighting is still up in the air.

Thanks for any input and good luck!

Later.............Herbie

I cleaned off some of the stuff, I couldn't get it all off. I guess I'll just let the tank cycle. I might as well just cycle it in the tank since there is nothing in there.

This live rock came from All About Fish in Concord, CA. It has a lot of stuff on it, but of course, is not fully cured.

Only filter I have on the tank is an AquaClear 150, but right now that has nothing in it, just using it for circulation. If need be, I can throw some carbon and sponge in there to clean some stuff out.

For lighting I have a CSL 2x40w PC hood with the moonlites.

I'm in just about the same situation. Just put my rock in yesterday. There's only a little bit of "funk" on it though, so I'm going to let it get taken care of by the cycle.

/Agree on the carbon and sponge. I'm doing the same.

I've noticed a little new funk show up over night, I'll get a toothbrush and scrub it off tonight.

My pH has dropped to 7.6 after the lights when out. I know that a pH drop is normal, but that seems like a lot. Is it?

I noticed when I put the rocks in that there were some feather duster worm burrows on some rocks, now this morning they were poking their dusters out. We'll see if they make it past the cycle.

I also read Reef Central. Tampa Bay Saltwater has a real following there. Only prob is getting a small amount of LR. Dr Fosters and smith sell a 22# package for around $89.

I like the TBS stuff, but the price was too rich for my blood. "The package" for my tank would have been like $260 after shipping. I paid $100 for my rock.

Trmiv-was that with fedex shipping? They have much less expensive shipping through airlines which will be the option i choose when I finally get to that point. What type of live rock did you get? Mail order or LFS?

That was with Airlines shipping. I'm on the west coast, so the shipping was pricey all the way out here.

I got my rock at a local store. It's got a lot of stuff on it now I'm noticing (some of it aiptasia though). I've already got a little population of amphipods swimming around. Some feather dusters on a few rocks, and a lot of nice coraline. There are some other things on the rocks that I'm unsure of what they are.

Archived