Cultivated Reef

Cycling ?

brhibler

I just set up a 10gal with:

1/2 mixed SW

1/2 SW from my 30gal

about 1-2 lbs of LR, will get more this week

3-5lbs of sand, with a cup of LS from other tank.

50watt heater

MJ 400

Bio-wheel filter, minus the biowheel and media, with a carbon bag

and 50 watts of 65K lighting.

Will this cycle strong, or have a small, undetectible cycle.

Ok, just answered my own ?. Tank has been up for 2 days.

Am >6ppm

Nitrite <1

Nitrate <1

Ph 7.8

Temp 78

After it cycles I'll test dkh and Ca.

Day 2.5

Added 12lbs of cured LR and a damsel.

Phara:

Am: <.25

N02: <1

N03: 0

Ph: 7.8

P03: 0

Temp: 78

Sg: 1.023

also as a crazy test, I put a small cluster of button polyps(5-9 polyps) in the tank yesterday. They have been open every minute, except when disturbed or lights out. 3 hermits were also added in the test.

Is this the end of the cycle. I'll keep testing anyway!

I'm just a noob but 2.5 days for a cycle seems to be a little fast. Was your LR from an established tank? If it was it might be possible but I'm doubtful. My reef has been set up for almost three weeks. All my test have been constant for about a week and I'm still weary of putting anything in it yet. Maybe I'm just cautious but I would take it slow if I were you.

Some one else out there back me up.

you just added 12 pounds of rock. your cycle STARTED the moment you added that rock. does not matter if it is cured or not. you should relax and slow way down,

nalbar

one thing you need with this hobby is a lot of patience! i'm sure we've all been through it...wanting to put stuff in our tanks as soon as possible, just to see it all die off!

Take it slow....the time will come when you can add things to your tank, and the patience will be nicely rewarded!

My nano is running since about 5 weeks now and I have my clean up crew who did nice job, but my ph is still at 7.9. I try the air pump outside in a cup of my water and after 1 hour, the ph is still at 7.9 so it's not a C02 problem.

So the only thing I think is my magnesium but I use seachem salt and I did water change and my ph still stay at 7.9.

Anyone have suggestion? My Ca is at 425, water temp at 80, Ak at 4.5meg/L

Archived