Top Shelf Aquatics

Help, need advice

xxaquanutxx

Hey all, I am gettin ready to set up my 5 gallon nano and had a couple questions.

1) Would a regulare mechanical filter work? like the aquaclear mini filter.

2) Do i need a skimmer?

3) would this amount of lighting be enough to light a 5g tank with an anemonie and/or soft corals?

9" 2x 9W Coralife Mini Aqualight CF hood

1x Actinic and 1x 10,000K

thanks in advance

-fishgirlB) B)

1) Yes...

2) No...don't need one. If you do a search for this there is a million threads covering all angles of that discussion.

3) Anemone...IMO no....soft corals mostly yes.

most people will tell you to refrain from anemones, especially in the beginning. they are somewhat hard to care for (depending on the kind) and require lots of light in the right spectrum as well as perfect waterlevels or else they don't do well. worst case scenario: it dies and kills everything in your tank (and trust me, that can happen quicker than you think...) for your 5 gallon, I'd suggest sticking to the softies/leathers for now and save the anemone untill you have some experience with the maintenance and husbandry of your tank, then I'd suggest a tank around 10 gallons with adequate lighting... imho anyway...

hope that helps....

TheCurriculum

Rule of thumb 5-8 watts per gallon is the minimum.

5-8 watts per gallon will support softies, but from what I've read the growth will be slow.

Their is such a thing as too much light but you will not likely encounter that during your settup.

Try not to skimp on the lights

To give you an idea of lighting option prices goto hellolights

do a search on 5g lighting or some other combo's tons of post on peoples setups. Look through the tank pages see a nice 5g with cool corals... look thier specs up...

have fun enjoy .. sit back and look through the old post...

Click to start your search or use the search at the top ... enjoy

Archived