SaltCritters.com

specimen containers for fragging?

Mmorse

Do any of you guys and gals think that a specimen container that you can hang on the inside of your tank work as a place to put coral frag cuttings until they attach to rocks mainly gsp and mushrooms?

I don't see why not. I use small plastic containers ( in a pinch, I cut off the bottom of a pop bottle and used it) in a lower flow area, on the sand, and/or hooked to the rim at the top of the tank.

Angel

My polyps like to be under the light, but maybe a shaded area would work better for the shrooms. The GSP can just be placed on the sand bottom and will spread across the sand. Whichever place you decide to put them, don't move them around for awhile as they get temperamental and some take time to attach and open. Moving them constantly, just doesn't work. Have you considered using small rubber bands to attach them temporarily to the rubble? I have done that also and it worked. It seems that quite a few have had different experiences, but the same end result.

Angel

Lighting intensity would depend on your light setup. I use a breeding/fry container that attaches to the side of my tank, it is at the top of the tank, but the bulb in my 20" Coralife 96w is only 14" wide, so it isn't really directly under the light. I'm fragging some acro in there now, and have used it for mushrooms and rics as well.

Yeah, those lines down the front and back are open, I don't think any of these come without holes, if you find one without them I would not use it.

• 4 weeks later...
FreeDoMangoR34

I have learnt through experience is that you can, but make sure you get some flow in the container or else the corals may turn into jelly. Been fragging and attaching shroom all my like through keeping marines, and I always place them in a small breeding trap until they are ready to be placed back in the main tank.

Archived