ReefCleaners.org

Good Deal Has Me Thinking Twice

theclearblue

I was planning on buying the CSL 2x40w Moon-Lite, but I found that webaquatics.com is selling the coralife 96w powerquad for $88.69. Hellolights.com will beat this price if I take it to them.

I know this topic has been beaten to death between these two lights. But I might be able to get a brand new coralife for less than $85 compared to $120 for the CSL.

What do you guys think? I should be able to keep most corals under either, but is the versatility of the CSL over the coralife worth almost $40?

Yes Yes Yes. Heres why:

Its black matches the tank

moonlite

independent control of the actinic and the 10k

you can put on a timer and control dusk to dawn

coralife is a quad no control over each 10 k and actinic

I do rec. if you get the CSL you buy a True 03 achtinic bulb the ultra blue is crap. The true is better and will give your tank a purple splash. You can see my thread about ultra compared to the true achtinic. The bulb is a extra 20. THey dont make a 40 youll have to get a 36 watt. WELL worth the less 4 watts its prob still better the actinic 03 36 compared to the 40 ultra. ANd i also recc you get a matching 36watt 10k to have a even 50/50. Then youll have your other bulbs as backups which is good. THe 36 watt will fit in the 40 just make sure its square pin base. Hellolights sells the bulbs you need.

I orderd a CSL 20" 2x40. Also i got a 36 watt true 03 bulb for extra 20 and a matching 36 watt 10k. I spend a extra 40 but. I still have 2 extra bulbs for backups incase one blows out. Its not ness to get a extra 10k 36 but a 50/50 mixture will look the best compared to a 40 10k and a 36 true 03 actinic.

I have rthe 2x40watt, and my cousin has the 96watt. We both agree not to buy the powerquad again, esp the coralife models. I have said it in other posts, the SCL is just a better made unit that prolly gives off more light than the 96, and gives off better light.

Yea if weworkx approves it then it offical. Hes a light master :D . Hey wetworkx did you see my thread on the true 03 actinic whatcha think. Put a true actinic 03 under that CSL hood and you will be sittin nice.

You guys are recommending he pay $35 more for the CSL with 80W, only to shell out another $40 to replace both bulbs effectively reducing his wattage to 72W for a total outlay of $160 compared to the 96W at $85 ??? What the heck?

No you dont have to replace the bulbs. That is when its TIME to replace the bulbs in about 8 months. But if you have the extra 35 to shell out i would. But you can get the CSL for $115 at marinedepotlive. And the cheapest ive see the coralife was is 100 at hellolights.com and its on sale normally i think 130. Ok ill break it down why its worth the extra 15 bucks or even 30.

CSL has Independent control over each light the 10k and the actinic. WHich means you can view your tank under just actinic which i promise you you will want trust me. The coralife has a electronic ballast basically crap. Remember its the BALLAST that drives the bulb. Many think that a that CSL 2x40s is stroger then coralifes 96x1 because of CSL remote ballast. Another reason a quad after a while the 10k in the coralifes quad seems to yellow up a bit. Another the CSL comes with a moonlite which is $30.00 just to buy seperate. Now if thats not enough reason to get the CSL then your crazy. I promise you i am telling you the right thing. 2x40 watts in a 10 gallon is 8 watts per gallon. IN a 12inch depth not even couting the depth decrease from the sandbed is more then enough. For softies, zoos, mushrooms, lps, SOME sps placed righ in the tank and maybe even a maxima and a few other so called hardy clams if fed right. I know people with this light and all of the corals i explained above. My brother keeps some clams under 2x32 watts in his 10 gallon. IMO the CSL is better as well as stronger due to the ballast. Tell me what you decided on you should know right after your done reading this.

Thanks for all the input, I'll see if I can find a good deal on eBay for a CSL, if not, well then I'll probably go with the Coralife. Expenses add up pretty quickly.

Archived