SaltCritters.com

How to use garlic?

jtricer1973

Hey guys, I have been batteling an ich breakout off and on for a while now. Especially with my coral beauty. It seems to be an ich magnet. I don't think nuclear war would phase my clown.LOL.

Any way, How do you use garlic extract? Give me some details for my 29 gallon. I haven't seen anything with garlic at the LFS, can I get it at the grocery store? I am also using melafix right now for some tail rot, some say it helps with ich while others say it doesn't.Anyway thanks for the help and info.

Tricer

You can get Garlic at GNC called "Kryolic" which you just add one or two drops to some food to soak before feeding to fish.

Also you can buy a product called "Keny Garlic Extreme" at some LFS or online at a retailer such as marinedepot.com

I tried crushing my own garlic from the grocery store but trust me it is a pain in the butt!!!! Also don't get McCormick's Garlic Juice, as it has other ingredients in it that you don't want in your tank.

I would quarantine the little fish though and treat with hyposalinity in another tank. that is if you have the time/resources.

Garlic will not cure Ich. The only proven ways to cure Ich are copper based meds and hyposalinity. Hyposalinity is the recommended method as it is less stressful for the fish. Either method should be done in a separate/hospital tank. The only way to get rid of the Ich in the main tank is to leave it "fishless" for 30-35 days. The parasite Ich cannot survive without a fish to host on.

Archived