Innovative Marine Aquariums

nano-reef skimmer?

karenhane

hi all...i'm new to this forum...very useful info here.

I have a 5 gallon eclipse tank with mighty-mite retrofit light, zoos, branching green stars, various mushrooms, and a pearly jawfish. i've had excellent luck so for about a year with it. i've been told i need a skimmer with it, which i dont have and am contemplating hooking one up.

what brand is recommended for a nano?

thanks all, karen

I've got a 12 gal. thats been running for I guess a year now. Just a few months ago I removed the skilter from it due to it leaking. I haven't noticed any ill effects from taking off the skimmer. I only have a redlip blennie w/cleanup crew and 13 different corals so I don't have alot of waste in the tank. IMO if your tank been doing fine why change it.

I am a strong beleiver that frequent water changes on a tank smaller than 20 gallons allows you to forgo a skimmer. I have an extremely successful via aqua 12 gallon. I have never skimmed the tank. I do get some surface film if I do not perform a small water change every week. I also hate to see equiptment clutter up tanks. I recently saw a picture of a 10 gallon nano that was so cluttered with equiptment it took away from the beauty of the inhabitants.

pandabehr,

can you show us a link to that 10 gallon you mentioned? I was going to put a BakPak but it didn't fit, so I have decided to forgo a skimmer and just do my weekly water changes.

thanks all...i think i'll forget about the skimmer...i just didnt know if it was somthing that was needed or if my tank was missing out on something wonderful..hehe...i just did a water test, everything was perfect. i''ll post pics when i get my camera....thanks again!

Archived