Coral Vue Hydros

2.5 ; 5.5 mini bow ??

jtricer1973

Hey guys, what do you think about the little 2.5 and 5.5 gallon mini bows as nano reefs. Obviously I would have to build me a custom hood for lights. Has anyone else used one of these tanks? I am really leaning toward the 5.5 because I am afraid that it would be hard to keep the temp stable in the 2.5. I noticed that many people use the 7 gallon bow, but its a liitle bigger than I want. Also are the 2.5 and 5.5 acrylic or glass?

Thanks

I am using a 5.5 Minibow.

I would have been *much* happier in a 7g.

The 5 is acrylic, and cheap acrylic at that. That means it will scratch easy, which means everything from rock placement to algae scraping to lighting takes on an extra measure of stress. If I weren't already about to upgrade to a 20, I'd be upgrading to a 7.

~Empty

Thanks Empty, Petsmart has the 7 gallon glass bow for $49.00. I think I may go with it. Can anyone tell me how big the 7 gallon bow is in comparison to a 10 gallon aga? Reason I ask is that I have a 10 and won't one with a smaller footprint.

Thanks

Well, I've seen both, and the 7g feels about 3/10s smaller.

Seriously, I think it has less of a footprint side to side and a similar one to a regular ten from the back ton the front of the bow. I am unsure however...

Just check them out side by side at Petco :)

~Empty

I have a 2.5 gallon minibow. Temp is not a prob at all, with a good heater. For lighting I bought one of those coralife 18 watt hoods, and made a custom plexiglass cover for my tank. Here is the deal with the tank, they are cool but what you really have to look out for is water params. They can go critical in the blink of an eye. I have also had issues with scratching my acrylic, but never had a prob cleaning it. I just bought a Mag-Float mini to keep my insides clean, and that should hopefully be here soon. Best thing to do for the tank is to buy an Aquaclear mini, Hagen thermal compact 25 watt, either a retro kit, or the Coralife hood, and that should get you set for all of the equipment.

Archived