Top Shelf Aquatics

about to rais alk with baking soda...

wowser

As I understand, use straight baking soda (Arm & Hammer) to raise Alk with little effect on Ph.

Use BAKED baking soda to raise both Alk and Ph.

Is that right?

My Ph is fine but dkh is 4, which is way low. So straight baking soda (dosed using a reef dosing calculator).

Thanks!!!!!! :D

I was under the impression that an alk within range is what brings pH to 8.3. I believe you have it backwards. Baking the bakingsoda will cause it to have little affect to pH. Unbaked baking soda will swing pH. I could be wrong, but I'm sure someone else will chime in

Baking soda will do alk, not ca. Kalkwasser does both. Whatever you do, raise it slowly. Don't want to shock your system too much. Over a period of days or dripped into your tank would be ideal.

according to the dosing calculators, BAKED baking soda will effect Ph "substantially higher" while regular baking soda will make it "somewhat lower." At 8.4 I can afford to drop Ph a bit but not make it go "substantially higher." Anyone know for sure? I don't want to crash my tank! Thanks!!!! :lol:

I was under the impression that an alk within range is what brings pH to 8.3. I believe you have it backwards. Baking the bakingsoda will cause it to have little affect to pH. Unbaked baking soda will swing pH. I could be wrong, but I'm sure someone else will chime in

My CA is fine. For some reason my dkh has always been low, around 4. I was thinking of just putting in half the recommended dosage in my ATO water and see how it goes. Is that too fast a dose?

Baking soda will do alk, not ca. Kalkwasser does both. Whatever you do, raise it slowly. Don't want to shock your system too much. Over a period of days or dripped into your tank would be ideal.

Arrrrrrr. So frustrating! Reef Chemistry Calculator FV and JDieck's Reef Calc both say BAKED will raise Ph substantially. So confused! HELP! omgomgomg

NO it's the opposite. Baked baking soda will not raise pH, that's why they suggest baking it to avoid pH swings

No way. Not going to take a chance with sps and a clam!

Sorry, read your post wrong. Read ph for ca.. =\ You can always just test it lol. Do a little and see what happens.

Trust the calculator. Baking the soda makes your ph stay a "little" higher. And as far as the clam, if you keep the alk at 4 it will not last long. Bake the soda!!! Add it to your tank. If you want to raise calc, DIY recipe's can be found

here

moonlitsomernite

Depending on if you have some water to spare in your tank... why don't you take some tank water out and to one batch add some unbaked baking soda and add baked baking soda to the other and see what happens.

maybe I am testing wrong? I use API test kit. Put one drop of ALK test. Turns blue. Put drops in one at a time until yellow. After 4 extra drops, I get yellow. Isn't that a 4 dKH? My pH is 8.2-8.4. I've tested with API as well as a meter. I use fans a lot on my tanks to keep cool, so it gets lots of air.

double check your Alk testing. its really inconceivable to have a good pH and have a dKH that low.

Make sure the test tube is completely clean and that you rinsed it with the "water to be tested". You should start counting your drops from the very first drop you add. So, one drop plus "4 extra drops" is five total drops, which would be 5 dKH, not 4. Also, you have to mix the test tube well between each drop until the whole liquid, not just part of it, turns yellow. If it turns back to blue after shaking a few times, then you're not at the endpoint. Using a piece of plastic wrap on your finger can be a quicker way of sealing the test tube.

What is your exact calcium number? Can you describe the steps you're taking?

Read this to learn about solving calcium/alkalinity problems:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm

Calcium is also API. I use the Master Reef Kit. Add 10 drops (I think) of Solution 1, then count drops of Solution 2. I usually don't get to the bluish/purple color until 24 or more, which means good calcium of about 420 if memory serves. I go by the instructions on the kit. Not sure how close they want the endpoint color to match.

Make sure the test tube is completely clean and that you rinsed it with the "water to be tested". You should start counting your drops from the very first drop you add. So, one drop plus "4 extra drops" is five total drops, which would be 5 dKH, not 4. Also, you have to mix the test tube well between each drop until the whole liquid, not just part of it, turns yellow. If it turns back to blue after shaking a few times, then you're not at the endpoint. Using a piece of plastic wrap on your finger can be a quicker way of sealing the test tube.

What is your exact calcium number? Can you describe the steps you're taking?

Read this to learn about solving calcium/alkalinity problems:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm

I just raised my alk from 6-9 dkh with baking soda. I added it to my ATO water which was dripped into my tank throughout 4 days.

What is your mag? Before you add any baking soda make sure your mag is in check because sometimes that is one of the underlying causes.

Archived