Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

where to drill the glass?

The Unit

i will be upgradeing to a 15h soon but i am now thinking of puttinh a sump under the stand.....if i getthe tank drilled in the back as close to the top i will have a gap between the top of the tank and the water level...1) it dosent look good and 2) i would have to make a hood to cover it up, which i dont want to do....the other option would be to get the tank drilled on the bottom and have appeice of PVC running up to the top of the tank just above the trim....but i am afraid of this option being noisy.......the reason i wan tthe sump is to place my heater and skimmer and to rig a ref. under the tan aswell[ which would be easier]........i have seen this system in my LFS on some of their tanks but am not sure....please post any comments ty......

I am not sure, but it seems you are trying to avoid having the water line showing below the top strip on your tank. If this is the case, you can still drill the tank near the top. My 29g and 20g both are drilled on the side and have PVC elbows for overflows. By adjusting the angle of the pipe inside the tank, you determine the water level in your tank. If the elbow is straight up (12:00 on a clock face) the water level is at its highest. Angle the pipe a bit (1:00) and the water level will be lower. Adjust to taste.

second2n0ne

Make certain the glass you are drilling is not tempered. Typically on a glass tank only the sides of the tank are not tempered. HTH!

ty for the posts....i love that idea TooFar2Sea... it is exactly what i am talking about.....and if the tandin made by all-glass they put a sticker onthe peices of glass that are tempered.....and i know 10gal taks do not have temp. glass.....but TF2S can u post some pics and y did u drill the side and not the back?

Archived