Top Shelf Aquatics

RO/DI Water Slow?

animalmaster6

animalmaster6

I'm testing out my AquaFX 4 Stage Barracuda RO/DI system today and I had a question.

The watse water was coming out MUCH faster than the clean water. is this normal?

Thanks!

Did you flush the unit before using? You need to remove the di filter and run the unit for about 10 gal of water before using the product water for your tank.

You should flush the filters to waste when they are first installled. Its best to do them one at a time so you do not contaminate the next filter downstream. Start with only the prefilter installed and the line leading from the carbon up to the RO membrane disconnected, this flushes the glues and binders out of the prefilter. next you install the carbon block, only the first one if you have two and do another flush to remove the carbon dust and fines, repeat with the second one if you have two.

Next you hook the RO membrane back up but disconnect or remove the DI filter cartridge and flush 3 to 5 gallons to waste. This is where a TDS meter is important as it will tell you when the TDS has dropped to its lowest point and you can then hook the DI up and do a final 1 gallon or so flush and you are ready to make RO/DI water.

Skippping these steps shortens the useful life of every filter downstream, espciially the DI as membranes have antimicrobial agents in them from the factory that will send high TDS to the DI if not flushed out.

Too bad more vendors do not include these important steps in their instructions.

4:1is the normal waste ratio and should be checked with a measuring cup and watch or clock to ensure it is close.

A TDS meter is a must, it is the ONLY way you know the condition of your RO membrane and DI resin, without it you are shooting in the dark. I prefer the handhelds like the HM Digital TDS3, TDS4 or COM-100 over inlines as they are more accurate and give you flexibility.

Archived