Top Shelf Aquatics

Eclipse System Three water change?

RobFriedman

hi! ok..I'm new at this... I own 4 Eclipse System tanks... 3 Twelves (for my 6 Goldfish) and my original Three. I decided to try a nano-reef /mini-reef with just a Rock and Sand and see what happened..

Well. I went to Aquarium Adventure here on LI and they were really helpful and were interested in what I was going to do (Originally i was going to simply get seawater and a rock from the shore and see what grew... ) I ended up getting a rock from AA and since they had sold out of LR the day before.. They took a rock from their own coral tanks.. including sand (looks like ground up shells to me) and the water all from the same tank. with instructions on how to set it up... There was a sponge and several featherdusters on the rock already.. as well as other things.. (something that reminds me of an anenome but on a stalk and it seems to move around the rock) I've also ended up with small corals from them (as gifts) and I'm watching them grow. All in all.. it's great. (yes I took the filter out and the biowheel out.. since I was told the natural filtration is the rock itself)

here in lies the question... I was told by them to wait a month.. which i have... (it was set up the day after thanksgiving) and to let the creatures filterfeed on what was there.. (oh I also added 3 VERY small hermit crabs.. with extra shells) I've seen very tiny snails appear.. as well as those colephods?? the small white items on the sides of the tank...

but I was told to check the salinity.. which as always been a touch high.. and just to top off the water... not doing a water change...

which is right?? (I still have water from the original tank they got me.. as well as seeing today that AA has a gallon jug of Live Seawater they just got in..)

thanks for any help on this..

Oh I also picked up MicroVert and have been putting in 3-5 drops every 3-4 day.. and have noticed some of the coral starting to grow.. including that anenome thing... (it doesnt seem to be an anenome.. just looks like one on a stalk a little)

Rob

Archived