ReefCleaners.org

Virbac Mardel 5 in 1 Test Strips for Saltwater

nick33063

Today I called my regular LFS to purchase the Hydor Koralia Nano Evolution 425 gph and they were out. So I went to another store who had them instock like always I bring water in to have it tested and had a scare with the results. The store uses one of those all-in-one test strip, I believe it was the Virbac Mardel 5 in 1 Test Strips for Saltwater which said I have 0.1 Nitrites and close to 60 on my Nitrates which was pretty alarming.

As soon as I got home I retested my water using my test kit by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals which is the liquid solution testing reagents. My test showed 0 Nitrites and 0-10 for my Nitrates. Has anyone experienced bad results with the Mardel 5 in 1 Test Strips versus using Aquarium Pharmaceuticals is my test kit? Which one is more accurate?

Test strips are usually not as accurate/precise as liquid-based tests. Stick with your API tests since they at least have a good reputation.

Test strips are usually not as accurate/precise as liquid-based tests. Stick with your API tests since they at least have a good reputation.

I had no intension of buying the test strip I was only questioning the accuracy of them. After reasearch I feel more confident in my API kit then the stores strip test. They did themselves a diservice to it's customers, I was going to buy another fish for my tank till they told me I have nitrites. Imediately I retested with my API which showed zero nitrites.

Archived