Innovative Marine Aquariums

2 questions.....

AReeferIsExpensive

AReeferIsExpensive

i didnt feel like bothering you guys with making 2 threads for small stupid questions so here they are together...

1. Is there any way that i can tell the difference between red slime algae and dark red cor. algae?? I have one rock with all this purple, maroon..etc cor. algae and i also have a lifeless rock. Its starting to get this maroon colored stuff covering it but i cant tell if its cyno or not. It doesnt feel slimey but then again, its on the rough surface of an old coral skelton stuck to the LR so its hard to tell. I dont want to find out later its bad when its already out of control. when should i decide to take action?

2. I was just wondering what the name of those TINY thin peices of "hair" that are about less then 1cm long and are spotted is. I see them all over my snails' shells moving around so i was curious to read up about them.

you can tell the difference in a couple ways. the first is, how fast does it grow? coraline grows slow. and does it 'throw' anything off? make strings, in other words. another way is can you suck any of it out. slime comes out like....well.. slime. another way to tell is coraline USUALLY has a 'hard', easy to define edge, many times lined with a white growing edge. slimes edge is less defined, seeming to just 'melt' away.

HTH

nalbar

AReeferIsExpensive

humm...my red stuff doesnt seem to match either description or cor. or cyno. I dont know what the hell it is. Id take a pic but its not something thats easy to tell over the internet..itll just look like a maroon rock b/c of quality. humphhh~ =/ maybe just get some chemi-clean because ill prob end up buying it anyhow.....

Archived