Coral Vue Hydros

My Temporary Hood

theclearblue

This is a hood that came with my 10 gallon setup (originally purchased for EDIT: freshwater). I'm posting a link to a picture of it- the file is pretty large - 3.9 MB for all you 56kers out there.

http://fcweb.furman.edu/~ian.crabtree/02D6...1/mycanopy.tiff

It's rated to a maximum of 25 watts (I'm assuming combined). It was stocked originally with incandescents but I replaced them with self-ballasted flo's rated at 10 watts each. This is a temporary setup until I purchase a CSL 2x40 or a Coralife 92w. It will only be used while I'm cycling the tank and can have some time to recover from the initial cost of live rock.

Couple of questions:

1) Will this allow me to keep any life on live rock alive for the 3 to 4 weeks while I cycle if I run it ~5 hours a day?

2) The unit is labeled not for saltwater use. Can I put some type of cover over it to protect it from getting splashed? (i.e. glass?) How will I be able to run a powercord to my Powerhead, heater, and have room for my Penguin Mini to run in the back if I do put in glass? It's only raised about two to three inches above the level of the aquarium top.

Thanks for any input

Archived