Pod Your Reef

When is the best time to test the water? conceron about PH 8.4

JakeF150

Hey there,

My biocube 29- i change water weekly. I have chemi pure lite, purgium, cheato w/ JBJ glo led ( only on overnight) and floss filter in rear chambers.

My test result as of 9am: nit/nit-0 , cal 460, AKH 9, phos-0, amm-0, 1.024, ph 7.4 , MAg 1310

I have all API test kit and saltiure MAG

I m curious when is the BEST time to test water with kits ?

Midday, morning , night ? when light off ? light on ??

PH 8.4 is 7.4 -its tan color almost match the card read..few day ago it was 8.0 then dropped to 7.4 ?

I remembered i tested the PH 8.4 when it was in the evening and 7.4 in the morning, 9am with light off..

I dont use dose ph 8.4 THAT often..Just when needed to raise.. i m using Seachem eight.four doser http://www.aquavitro.com/Products/eightfour.html

Is that good stuff?

Advice will be great!

Thanks!

Jake

Your PH is going to fluctuate with your light schedule (it will be higher when the lights are on). I would test it once your lights have been on for a few hours. I normally do my tests at around noon. My lights run from 8am-3pm.

Ohhh...So I could NOT concern about it then ?? i dont want to hurt fishes..

I set timers- lights blue on 11am-12pm then switch to 50/50 12pm-630pm then back actinic 630pm-9pm

thanks!

You may want to double check that pH reading. If 7.4 is actually correct, it is well outside of the hospitable range for most animals we keep. But yes, some fluctuation is normal from day to night. What is your current alkalinity? If you are actually getting that kind of shift, your alkalinity may be correspondingly low, which can be remedied easily. Check pH in the morning before the lights come on and in the evening right before they go off--both with a different test kit. Alkalinity can be checked at any time, unless you are adding a supplement for it, in which case you should wait for about 24 hours for full stabilization.

As per API test alkalinity is 10

PH now at 8.2 - 2.5 hours since light on...

Interested..learned something new everyday about saltwater :)

Thanks!

Jake

Archived