Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Long white bug

KariE2B

I really wish that I had a camera, but I guess I am going to have to describe it.

I first saw it as it would stick itself out of a hole, eat some stuff, and then zip back inside. It looks like an amphipod (sp?), but it is bigger, with long antennae. It's body is white/clear and perhaps a half an inch long. It has lots of little legs.

At first I thought it may be a baby mantis or something like that, but I didn't see any claws in the front. Truth be told, I have seen pictures of adult mantis shrimp and they are all sorts of funky colors, but I didn't know if they look when they are small....so...

Although I highly doubted it was going to be a problem in my tank, I wasn't sure so I dipped my piece of rock in fresh water and two came zippin' out.

Well, I think I found its mother ship...I have what looks to be a mature one of these things...it looks between 2 and 3 inches long--can't tell 'cause it hasn't come all the way out--with a little head and feelers. It has a tannish body. It looks to have a bajillion little legs. It sticks itself out of its hole looking for food but then bolts back in really fast if startled.

Thanks, birdman...

So are those good things to have in one's tank or bad....

Right now I could use something good, since my once really awesome urchins have grown and I seem to be losing a lot of coralline.....*sad*

Archived