SaltCritters.com

Water Chemistry Values

pumarjr

Today I bought the API 5 in 1 test strips to give me a quick reading on my Kh and Gh values until the reef test kit arrives, here in Key west at our LFS, there's not much stocked that's not outrageously priced so... My gh level was at or beyond 240, the gh was at the end of the spectrum as well. 120 or so, now I've read that a high reading for gh usually means a high ph value but my ph is about 7.8 to 7.9, my ammonia is at 0, nitrates 0, nitrites 0, I'm using RO/DI water from my maximma unit, it has new filters btw, phos is also below .02, the salt I'm using is red sea coral pro salt. I cannot seem to get my ph up to 8.2 either, alk was a little high but after my water change it went down some, any ideas? Also is having the gh and kh where they are at bad or good?

Unfortunately, test strips can be inaccurate. You may instead want to get the API liquid tests, specifically the saltwater versions. GH (general hardness) is usually not used in SW because carbonate is more significant for reef tanks (making KH-carbonate hardness- the test you want).

A pH of 7.8 is not bad if your alkalinity is high. Read this article on the proper ranges of various water parameters to learn why:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php

Unfortunately, test strips can be inaccurate. You may instead want to get the API liquid tests, specifically the saltwater versions. GH (general hardness) is usually not used in SW because carbonate is more significant for reef tanks (making KH-carbonate hardness- the test you want).

A pH of 7.8 is not bad if your alkalinity is high. Read this article on the proper ranges of various water parameters to learn why:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php

+1

You cant trust a strip test kit. Alot of people on the boards (myself included) have had very good luck with the API saltwater test kits. They are pretty accurate for their price point.

Archived