Innovative Marine Aquariums

Did i frag my eagle eyes wrong?

reefer4ever

Well i just fragged about 5 eagle eye zoas off of my mother colony and i think i might have done it wrong. i used an exacto knife and when i cut, there was brown juice that oozed out of where i cut. it was hard to get the zoas off the rock but i eventually peeled them off. again there was brown liquid coming out from where i peeled. ive never fragged anything before but ive seen vidoes and it looked pretty easy so i tried.

i know a ton of u have fragged every coral out there so if u could give me some input on what ive done wrong and advice on future fragging i would greatly appriciate it.

maybe someone can make a video of themselves fragging some zoas?

There are plenty of videos of fragging zoanthids on youtube, just do a search with frag zoanthid or something like that.

It's normal for some of them to spray brown stuff if you mishandle them too much. Generaly mine don't spit out anything because I do it very gently, but it did happen a few times. Usualy they recover.

Well i just fragged about 5 eagle eye zoas off of my mother colony and i think i might have done it wrong. i used an exacto knife and when i cut, there was brown juice that oozed out of where i cut. it was hard to get the zoas off the rock but i eventually peeled them off. again there was brown liquid coming out from where i peeled. ive never fragged anything before but ive seen vidoes and it looked pretty easy so i tried.

i know a ton of u have fragged every coral out there so if u could give me some input on what ive done wrong and advice on future fragging i would greatly appriciate it.

maybe someone can make a video of themselves fragging some zoas?

really great to know it will heal because im going to tranfer them to my dads tank and want to make sure they will do fine. my dads not too educated when it comes to reefing so he thinks everything is dying. one time i fed his nem and it closed up. when he came in the room and i was in the hitchen, he screamed at me that the nem was dying and he knew he shouldnt have listned to me. he said," i knew i shouldnt have wasted $40 on a stupid nem." then i told him to not freak out and that i fed the nem. lol

back on subject; thanks for the help.

gulfsurfer101

Maybe tell your dad to get a dremel and diamond coated cutting wheel and try cutting under them. If you leave a small peice of rock under them they will not ooze out brown poop. I use the razor blade method now but the dremel is a good way to start and get a feel for smashing things up and shredding your little fish freinds.

you should be good zoas are pretty forgiving. Just practice on the lower end ones. But yeah i try and use bone cutters and just break off some of the rock with the zoas and then just slice through the skin seems to work out pretty good... It turns into a pain when your trying to get one head off

Archived