ReefCleaners.org

Chyendra's 45 Gallon Cube

Chyendra

Thanks Deckoz - I am also a fan of the candy cane forest :)

Hey Blue2Fyr3 Good to find you again :) I agree, this tank has a really nice footprint for the size. Your tank is coming along nicely too. Have you been to the frag swap before? There were so many nice corals last year, I think I might need a bigger tank if I'm not careful with what I bring home from the swap :)

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Center01_24_12small.jpg

There are many beautiful tanks on here, but....this is at the top of the list of my favorites!!!!! So beautiful!!!!! You've done an amazing job getting that algae under control. Did you notice any adverse reactions from the magnesium dosing? Mainly with your sps?

Thanks Gena!

The only possible adverse reaction I saw in the SPS to the increased magnesium was my purple encrusting monti started to loose some flesh on the edge near the candy cane corals. I think this was due to the candy canes stinging it though.

With bryopsis treatment I slowly raise my magnesium with kent tech m from 1500ish up to 1650-1700ppm over 2 days. I've never seen any adverse reactions when I do it this way. You will start to see the bryopsis die off after the second or third day. It will work faster if you manually remove the large clumps.

My plan for the leftover hair algae is to wait until my SPS are fully acclimated to the new light and going strong, then i will challenge the whole tank to low nutrient period. I will increase my GFO usage and feed less. I know this will make some of my corals pale, but as long as they're not stressed with new lighting at the same time, I think they will be fine. Additionally, I will manually remove as much HA as I can, and I will add another emerald crab and a few more scarlet hermits.

Beautiful tank, love all the colors!

Just be careful on the GFO, low nutrients can sometimes have negative affects on SPS. Seems to be the case for me.

Asureef - I absolutely agree. Low nutrients can be detrimental to all corals. I learned this the hard way when I was dosing vodka. It's hard to find a balance where the corals are getting enough of what they need without excess nutrients keeping algae thriving.

Hey, just read the whole thing! Great thread especially while going to vet school. Congrats on passing the boards! That must have been a big relief!

Thanks everyone!

It's exciting to see my SPS finally thriving because it's always been my goal to create a truly mixed reef in which everything from SPS and LPS to soft corals could thrive. These yellow polyps love the extra light, turning a vibrant yellow and contrasting their neighboring RBTA.

01_24_12small-2.jpg

Our local frag swap this weekend was awesome! I've been eyeing a couple different corals for a few months and I was able to finally pick up a few frags. Pics coming soon!

Dragon soul prism favia, rainbow encrusting monti, and this cool teal and pink chalice

Here' they are! Sorry these aren't the best pictures. Everything is still chilling on the sand bed acclimating to the light.

Dragon Soul Prism Favia

01_28_12_1small.jpg

Rainbow monti -having a small piece of rainbow monti... is better than no rainbow monti :)

01_28_12small.jpg

Anyone know the name of this Chalice? It's dark teal with metallic pink flecks

01_28_12_2small.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Uggg...

After much debate, I decided to switch back to the Phoenix 14k 250w bulb. I was starting to feel like my color (especially my LPS) were becoming pale, and my SPS started to brown out again with the Giesmann bulb. I thought maybe a slightly bluer bulb would bring some color back.

Well... I just replaced the bulb, breaking my old Giesmann in the process :( and now that the Phoenix is installed.... I hate it! Uggg.... it's back to the ugly windex blue again. What was I thinking?!

Should I give it time to break in, or try to sell it and replace it with something else?... I feel like I'm back to the drawing board again. I hate this run around with lighting... WHY doesn't radium make 250w DE bulbs?

So options include...

1. Letting the phoenix burn in and hope that it becomes "whiter" and more natural w/ time

2. Replace my ATI Blue plus with a daylight bulb? other suggestions for 2x24w T5HO combo with a phoenix?

3. sell phoenix and upgrade to a Ushio 14k or another "whiter" high par 14k bulb

Archived