Cultivated Reef

Harvesting macroalgae from the ocean

keydiver

Hey i live in miami, about a 45 minute drive to my house on plantation key. I have seen many of the common aquarium macroalgaes when i have been scuba diving, and just wanted to know if it would be ok to get some. I dont know of any licenses or restrictions that apply to harvesting macros. I want to set up a planted tank, but some of the macros are just so expensive. Also, if i did get some macros from the ocean, would i have to do anything prior to putting them into my tank like freshwater dips ect. to get rid of pests? What kind of pests are found in macros. Any input is greatly appreciated..Thanks

you can collect them with a recreational saltwater fishing license, you have to keep them in a live well, no rock collection but that is about it. 1 gallon bag limit per day. Watch for preserve areas and all that. Find out more at myfwc.com

Yep, not just commercially but as a hobbyist too. It is a lot of fun to collect stuff for your own tank too, especially if you are the hands on type of aquarist that likes the hobby more than watching the tank. We have a thread about it in the biotopes section that CRad started...you may find it interesting. Skip the BP part I guess, although there are some fish collection tips in there.

You can fresh water dip any macro you are likely to find for an hour with no ill effects, even do some running water which helps to flush things out. You will find tons of little evil crabs in time I am sure... a lot will come off when you shake the algae. Clean macros under water when you get them, shake them etc.. better to use the big tank than the one at home...anything bad that can be found on LR can come on algae basically, most nuisance are epiphytes. But algae is easy to clean, especially compared to rock.

ok so just do fresh dips and run em under freshwater. sounds like a plan. And i know you do your collecting in the keys after looking over your whole site....great job btw...but do you have any tips for collecting macros? Any special places i should be looking for them? What kind grow in Islamorada/ plantation key?

Thank you!

I dont get to the Keys often, but when I do I love it. So much to look at...So much more to map...I need another 3 life times...well anyway...

Finding your own secret spots is the best part about fishing. It becomes an adventure rather than just something to do. Just go searching, you will find what you are looking for, all the things you see in the hobby except for deep water fish are abundant. You will find a few collectors in our areas share spots, but only via pm. I think it is b/c we are scared a tourist will come down and get our state's goods. :)

Archived