inTank Media Baskets

Starting a 10gal with Tap water?

WoNg$ta

don't mean to hijack here, but this is kind of related to this question. All of the water I've found at grocery stores/wal-mart has been labeled as distilled, is this not as good as ro/di?

Tap water is not a good Idea. You are just asking for problems. I have used distilled water in a pinch for top off, I would never use it for my entire water content. I really don't trust the RO/DI filter machines in the Grocery stores. Unless you can find out how often they maintain the machine. I recommend that you invest in a small ro/di filter for home use. It will save you tons of money over time. I live next to a LFS that sells ro/di water and ro/di saltwater mixed.

$0.89 for Fresh per gallon

$1.15 for Salt per gallon

I get 14 gallons of each every two weeks and 7 gallons of Salt per month.

thats $24.92 per month for fresh

and $$8.05 per month for Salt

Thats a little less tht $400.00 a year on quality water.

A 35 gpd ro/di averages $170.00, 200 gallons worth of Instant Ocean is $30.00..... That is $200.00. Replace the filters that are $50.00 or so a year.....

argh too much math...... my point is the RO?DI filter will save you tons of time, money and grief in the long run.

I agree with the others. I use only RO/DI water also. IMO using tap for salt water is just asking for numerous problems. The biggest that I have seen is the numerous algae problems that it causes.

Angel

I always use RO/DI, if you can find a LFS around you that carries it I would go that route. I bought a nice 50gpd unit from Aquatic Reef Systems for around $150.00, if you can afford your own go for it. I do think distilled can be used in a pinch, just get a copper test kit to make sure it wasn't distilled with copper tubing, even though this is rare now among distillers. I would never use tap in a reef tank.

But I have found that with new tanks it is OK to use tap water baecause you will do so many water changes that youe will eventually replace your original water. I have only done this with tanks up to 65 gallons and I would definitely re-think this when going to a tank larger than 100 gallons.

I wouldn't use tap water. No matter how many water changes you do, you may still encourage algae in your sand bed.

I used distalled as top off water with no problems.

pandabehr, you folks in Virginia are paying a fortune for salt water. It's .39 to .59/gal here.

How's this water sound, bought from wal-mart for 58 cents a gallon. I couldn't find any de-ionized.

Sodium Free Drinking Water

Processed By: Carbon Filtration, UV Treatment, Reverse Osmosis, Microfiltration, Ozonation.

I used tap water on my 10g and my 20g. I've got a simple filter on the kitchen, and I used that faucet to fill my 10g. I had pretty decent results with a minimal algae bloom. My 20g upstairs I used unfiltered water from the bathtub. HUGE outbreak of brown algae. I'm going to invest in a RO filter soon, but for now, it's buying bottled water.

Originally posted by theclearblue

How's this water sound, bought from wal-mart for 58 cents a gallon. I couldn't find any de-ionized.

I've used this water before. I have had no problems with it.

Originally posted by theclearblue

Sodium Free Drinking Water

Processed By: Carbon Filtration, UV Treatment, Reverse Osmosis, Microfiltration, Ozonation.

I have been using that very water from Wally world in my 10gal for about 3weeks. So far so good.:)

Archived