ReefCleaners.org

new 20gal H, looking for advice

Brianc_4

I'm new to the nano reef hobby, and I am just starting to set one up. So far, I have the tank, heater, penguin mini filter(should I use charcoal?),Jalli 2x55w lighting(10000k day/7700k blue), and a 180gph submersible pump. I guess what I'm asking is am I ready for water LS and LR, or am I missing some essentials. Should I start with a protein skimmer, or wait and see if the LR is enough for the bioload. If it isn't enough will I have time to correct it before I lose half the tank. Please give me your opinions, experience and advice. If you had to do it all over again what would you do differently?

Thanks

i would've bought a bigger tank for my main tank! :*(

i would've started with vho's and saved a LOT of $$$. :*(

i would've read more, practiced more patience, and not bought 'on sale' packages that overloaded my biofilters at times. :*(

you started well with the 20H. that should be able to give you a good aqauscape. don't cheap out on the LR but make sure you plan out your seascape. you should think about what livestock you plan on having and its relationship with other possible tankmates.

i personally always use a skimmer but many people go without and have hugely successful reefs. i recommend it starting out. once your tank ages correctly (LR, LS, etc.) you could probably go without. welcome to the hobby and good luck!

Whether you need the skimmer depends on you. If you stock the tank lightly and slowly, keep up on water changes, and are careful not to overfeed, you'll be fine without it.

You don't need to use any media in your Penguin filter. You might put the filter pad in occasionally to remove debris from the water, but if you leave it in, you'll want to clean it under HOT tap water weekly to kill off bacteria, because you want the majority of your nitrification to occur in your sand and on your live rock.

Anyway, it sounds like you're ready, if your tank is up to temp and your salinity is on target. You could also start cycling by just putting in the sand and a fresh shrimp from the grocery store. Having the tank pre-cycled will save more of the life on yoru live rock, especially if you're getting uncured or mail order LR.

Good luck, it sounds like you're starting out the right way. :)

HTH

Archived