ReefCleaners.org

Clams

rhinoivory

Ive studieed many sources regarding keeping clams in an aquarium, and they have all indicated that they feed when they are young and require more intense light as they grow. Does this mean that if I plan to keep a clam for a year under 6 watts per gallon or so, and trade it in for anothjer smaller one, it would workout, or would i be pushing it? The species I had in mind is maxima.

Don

NanoReefer53

What size is your tank ?

What are the specs and how long has it been up ?

(Edited by NanoReefer53 at 9:31 am on June 25, 2002)

I myself stay away from maxima clams. I do keep squamosa clams though. They still look great and do not require as much light as they are naturally found in deeper area's. I have 3 - 55watt pc's on my ten gallon which houses my squamosa clam. It does great.

printerdown01

leaky, with 3-55W on a ten, you could easily keep a maxima!! The only think that makes them difficult to keep is light, and you have plenty (you could have even done it with 2-55W) :)

eferna: 55W PCs on a 10 would mean that the bulbs are sticking out about 2" at the end.

rhinoivory: what size is your tank? what you have read is true. they are filter feeder when they are young, as the get bigger they depend more on lighting as their food source.

Ahhh.... the old how 3 55wats on a 10 question..... well my friends the pics are commin soon.... wait for the "custom hood pics" title in the DIY board very soon...  yes it is enough light for a maxima , but I already got a squamosa and the origonal poster, rhinoivory(sp?), does not have 3 55watts pc's. the answer I said was for him to generally say that maximas should not generally be kept in a nano very long with the lower lighting he stated. I read that a few times when I did some research myself for maxima's.   It may stress them out or something like that.... I could have gotten a maxima before i made my hood, and traded it after a year or so, but I am a sucker and grow attached to my corals,clams etc... and find it tough to part with them... now I can watch my clam and not worry to part with him/her....hmm   Thanks and good luck......

Archived