Cultivated Reef

NZR's RSM130 - The tank that is no more

NewZealandReefie

NewZealandReefie

And here's another pic of our little anemone. It's around 2 1/2" round now. All stretched out and inflated in the middle of the day.

post-55037-1287286555_thumb.jpg

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NewZealandReefie

And finally just to top off my 2 day "posting in my own thread, talking to myself" spree here's a photo of the Chilli Leather with it's polyps out last night.

post-55037-1287364501_thumb.jpg

Enjoy!

NewZealandReefie

So, we're considering getting a Rainford Goby.

There is a beautiful healthy specimen at one of our LFS at the moment. We've looked up the care, done some research and we're pretty confident we can meet it's needs. We have also witnessed it eat frozen mysis quite happily. We think we'll be able to build on it's training and get it eating more frozen foods as well as pods etc in the tank.

Opinions?

Personal experiences from people who own this fish?

Any info greatly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
NewZealandReefie

We've settled on the next fish we're buying, not a Rainfords, something a little more simple. Yellow Clown Goby. It's currently hiding out at one of our LFS.

Picked up a pretty cool new zoa colony yesterday (plus a bonus few button polyps). Below are a couple of photos of it today. I think it's looking pretty happy.

post-55037-1288489415_thumb.jpg

post-55037-1288489518_thumb.jpg

And just for kicks here is a top down photo of the torch and its very pretty red/purple macro covered base.

post-55037-1288489533_thumb.jpg

Nice choice, i've just bought one myself along with a Green Banded Goby or Christmas Goby as some ppl call them, anyway great personalities the both of them.

NewZealandReefie

Cheers!

We're thinking... last two fish (take the total to 5) orchid dottyback and the YCG.

We may get the orchid this weekend, we'l see how much money we've got after paying the bills.

Off to visit a guy from the New Zealand Marine Aquarium Society forums (NZMAS) to buy some green star polyps and possible some frog-spawn or something tomorrow. He's offering some very good prices so we hope it's good stuff!

How is your new tank going?

The guy just ordered the glass for it this week so hopefully should be starting next week, got my stand and my light fixture already and ordered my PAR38 bulbs last night got 14k & 20k as couldn't decided what look I wanted.

NewZealandReefie

So today we went and bought an Orchid Dottyback. It's name is Slinky, just cos.

We also went and met a local reefer with a 500 litre tank and another in the making. He sold us a metallic fluorescent GSP frag and a 7 head "frag" of his massive frogspawn! Then just for kicks broke off two pieces of his rather cool blue tipped staghorn. Total... $20.

Poly box in hand I drove us down to our closest LFS to pick up the dottyback. We came away with a discount on the fish and 3 free coral frags. Xenia, a red mushroom we've been eyeing up for ages and this sps... thing. We did ID it but I can't remember the name right now!

Here's the mushroom.

post-55037-1289033221_thumb.jpg

This is the frogspawn (much better looking when we change the lights).

post-55037-1289033237_thumb.jpg

And here's a grainy awful photo of Slinky hiding as far in the back of the tank as possible...

post-55037-1289033257_thumb.jpg

NewZealandReefie

Couple of blurry photos of Slinky. She's a bit camera shy, happy for me to watch but as soon as she sees a hint of camera she's off to the back of the tank.

post-55037-1289164282_thumb.jpg

post-55037-1289164691_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
NewZealandReefie

So here's the latest.

Lots of zoas, ciedre had a fun time smashing up the large base rock we got a couple of months ago into manageable pieces. We picked up some green and purple centred zoos with brown frills and the weekend just been we managed to trade for some metallic green and orange ones.

zoogarden.jpg

colouredzoos.jpg

greenzoos.jpg

CIMG2670.jpg

Two weeks ago we added our last fish for this tank, YCG named Pennywise. Same day we picked up a hermit.

Pennywise.jpg

BB.jpg

Updated FTS and whole lot more! Comments welcome.

fts20-12-10.jpg

slink.jpg

Hydno.jpg

zim.jpg

NewZealandReefie

One of the importers an LFS near us uses had a bit of a clear out before his new year holiday and we managed to pick up 3 new frags. Photo of the blasto and the candycane below, chalice to come later when it looks a little happier.

Blasto.jpg

Candycane.jpg

New FTS on the front page.

Thanks for looking, NZR.

NewZealandReefie

Thanks!

You too man, Merry Christmas!

It's an amazing day here today. There is literally not a cloud in the sky a far as I can see, everything is so bright! I love having a summer Christmas.

• 1 month later...
NewZealandReefie

More new stuff and some old things I got good photos of today. CBF writing about it, keyboard battery is dying.

braaaaains.jpg

cup.jpg

The bubble that was supposed to die a LONG time ago and still clings to life...

bubble.jpg

pl8.jpg

If anyone is interested in offering advise I've also recently started a thread about my new 450L tank. It has yet to get wet so any thoughts on plumbing etc would be appreciated.

Thank for looking, NZR

• 2 weeks later...
NewZealandReefie

So this week we decided to re-scape the tank. Things were looking a little too much like the 'rock wall' we wanted to steer clear of in the beginning.

FTS

FTS13-2-11.jpg

Left Side

Lefty.jpg

Right Side

Righty.jpg

Everything found a new home and all is looking happy and healthy.

Managed to get a couple of NEARLY good photos of Slinky the orchid dottyback.

Slinkytwo.jpg

Slinkslink.jpg

Nice shot of the new brain in it't position between the two islands.

BrainandBubble.jpg

And lastly for today... CAKE! Since he's just so cute (even after tangling with the anemone lately and receiving a few stings for his trouble).

CAKE.jpg

Thanks for looking and as always feel free to comment. Not that, after all these months, I expect anyone to bother.

Peace,

NZR

I know how you feel. I'll write here if you comment on my rsm in my Sig. :) looks like a good start even though its been up for months lol! Your clownfish pair reminds me of my own. They won't breed for a good year or so but they are attached at the hip. It's really cute.

I'd comment only I don't think Jo is talking to me anymore.

Lol, I'm not not talking to you :P

Just been really busy with other things lately, like getting our new 400L tank set up :)

Ill post an update on the nano reef shortly.

NewZealandReefie
I know how you feel. I'll write here if you comment on my rsm in my Sig. :) looks like a good start even though its been up for months lol! Your clownfish pair reminds me of my own. They won't breed for a good year or so but they are attached at the hip. It's really cute.

Funnily enough Daleo, I did comment on your RSM thread a while back... Post number #52 Dec 27 2010, 11:23 PM

Hehe...

• 2 months later...
NewZealandReefie

New stuff and some photos

FTS for this week

FTS13-4-11.jpg

Feeding time

Righty-1.jpg

Consuela with eggs after moulting

Consuela.jpg

Bumble bee these days

Bumble.jpg

LSD

LSDFish.jpg

And LSD's spotty pale belly

TheGlass.jpg

LSD has been with us for around 6 weeks now. She's eating well as we've jar trained her. Jar is visible in some of the photos above. She is fed predominantly fish roe.

Thanks for looking.

NZR

• 2 weeks later...
NewZealandReefie

Over easter weekend we bought a few more corals as one of our LFS got a pretty good shipment in.

Pink Stylopora

PinkStylopora.jpg

With an acro crab in matching pink hiding in the middle

TheAcroCrab.jpg

Some yellow zoas

NewZoasYellow.jpg

YellowZoas.jpg

And a pair of purple-blue/rad Rhodactis

Rhodactis.jpg

We also picked up a 57+ eye, piece of chalice. It looks a bit dull at the moment but we expect it to colour up nicely when we move it to the new tank under the 14k halides. Photos to follow!

Archived