SaltCritters.com

Nightmare Snail Killer! What is it? pictures

mobilehurricane

mobilehurricane

Yes all the snails are gone lol Since he ate the last one he hasn't been seen until yesterday and doesn't disturb anything in the tank. I'll just keep waiting til he makes the wrong move and I catch it!

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have also discovered what I believe to be the same creature in my tank and I watched it eat a nassarius snail. I was so taken aback by its lightning fast attack that I missed my chance to remove it. Have you been able to try the clam bait yet?

Starve him out. Since he eats snails, dont add any more for some time. He will likely become more foolish as he gets hungry. He will make mistakes!

You could try sucking him out with some large diameter tubing when it is close to PWC time. Ive sucked snails right out of the tank by accident before, so I imagine the flatworm would also go bye bye this way. Just have the siphon ready for nighttime.

Matt

mobilehurricane

I didn't realize anyone was still active on this topic until I came to add an update. Last night was the first time I saw it since September 11. I have not added any snails since that time so I guess it is living off stomatellas and other things that live in the rock that I don't really see. This was the first time I saw it's entire body though and it was roughly 1" wide and 3" long. However, it crawled back into the rocks within a few seconds of me seeing it. I guess it isn't bothering anything though. I would have tried to catch it if I thought I could, but all of my previous attempts failed and it hasn't caused me any problems so it is still in there. The piece of live rock it lives in would allow it to stay in there forever, so many crevices and holes.

But you're right, one of these days I would think it would have to leave the rock and crawl across the sand where I could catch it.

• 1 month later...

Some pinsettes from ADA or the DoAqua! line would probably be better suited for snatching things out of the tank than needle nose pliers. I have a pair of the DoAqua! ones I keep next to my FW planted tank. Handy little things they are. There are some pretty cheap ones available on eBay as well. Good luck catching the elusive creature!

Archived