Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

One drop at a time? Do people really do it?

paneubert

When testing for Ca and Alk, do people really do the one drop, shake, look at color, one drop, shake, look at color method? Or do people tend to add enough reagent solution to get close to what they think the levels are, shake, verify that they have still not reached the right level, then go drop by drop?

Does adding lets say......10 drops of Ca reagent and then doing one by one impact the accuracy of the test? I have tried it both ways, just want to see what people think/do.

add enough reagent solution to get close to what they think the levels are, shake, verify that they have still not reached the right level, then go drop by drop?

^^^^THIS^^^^

I dont test because I use Good Salt Mix (H2O+) and change 40% of my water every week... I only test when there seems to be a problem... Which has happened.... Never! :P

EDIT: I do have all the Elo's test kits (Ni, Na, Am, Calc, Alk, PH, Mag, Iodine and Copper) just havent used them but once when I got them...

Thanks. I could not find many other posts where people talked about what method they use. Some said that it is cool to try....but it did not seem like many people chimed in to support or deny the concept. I think I am going to do the "lazy" way, and then drop by drop after that.

Nano sapiens

When testing I add enough drops to bring me 'close', then shake. After that just a few drops (while shaking in between) will get me to the end result.

Is this fact? I feel like adding to many drops without shaking has caused my CA color to change from the pink to a purplish color (not the blue) prematurely

What's your test kit brand? For API, the calcium test recommends doing most of the drops at once (up to ~300 ppm I think), while alkalinity doesn't require many drops.

What's your test kit brand? For API, the calcium test recommends doing most of the drops at once (up to ~300 ppm I think), while alkalinity doesn't require many drops.

I am pretty sure it is API......I will have to check when I get home. If it is API, I know it says to do drop by drop from the beginning. So I might have an older/newer set of instructions. Good to get feedback no matter what!

Archived