Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Minibow 7 CSL 32w Retro

Warboz

Although it is obvious that I have now a different color spectrum, it doesn't seem as though it is any brighter. I was wondering if the light intesity to the human eye has anything to do with the wattage per gallon? Just because I can't see it doesn't mean its not there? It is daylight outside and my room is well lit by natural light (aka windows) so maybe I will be able to tell in the night.

Thanks

Edit: I'll post pics tonight but they mess up the lighting anyway...cause I'm not a good photographer. Flash = anti-lighting and no flash = blue tank. But we'll see...

plug the other light back in and switch back and forth if you can. the wattage isn;t much higher, but the specturm (wavelengths) of light is much better

Unfortunily I had to cut the cord in order to not break the stock hood I was putting it in, but, when I was comparing it it was very light outside. Snowed here so that makes it even brighter. Tonight with all the lights off I can tell a huge difference in lighting now, and yes the specturm of light is much much different. More blue due to the actinic and the white is a clearer white...obviusly the point of getting it :).

Now my question is this, I was running 10 hour light cycles with the stock one, now that I have proper lighting should I kick it up to a 14 hour cycle?

Any links for dimmers?

Is there a proven advantage for the Moonlights or is still up for grabs if it actually does anything? Increase spawning, breeding etc?

Thanks

the wattage is more than double, as I recall when I did mine. You might not notice the difference, but that would be because you don't accurately remember what the stock lighting looked like.

I promise you, you have an infinately superior light now, and there's not a heck of a lot you can't keep in there (btw, please don't test this one out for a year or so.)

As far as your lighting time, if you're going to increase it, bring it up slowly. I'd go to 12-13 hours, half an hour a week for 4-6 weeks. If you go insta-14, you're also going to see insta-algae.

I don't know much about moonlights, but I don't have them on my tank, and it doesn't seem to mind.

Archived