Innovative Marine Aquariums

Cycle done in two weeks?

Ricochet

I was wondering if its possible that my tank has cycled in two weeks time with just LR and LS. I have a 7 Gallon minibow and I am using LR from the LFS which is supposedly cured and 20lbs of this Natures Ocean Live Sand that says on the bag "Instant Cyclying" - hmmm, sure.

Anyways, I started testing the 2nd week and my water parameters are Ammonia:0, Nitrite: 0, Nitrate: 5-10ppm and its been like this for about 5 days. Is it possible that I missed the spike the first week or is my tank still in the process of cycling? Can I get a small cleanup crew like 1-2 hermit crabs????

Your guys' thoughts?

Depending on the state of your rock when you got it you are very possibly cycled BUT I've seen more than once a tank in the 3rd or 4th week spike real bad. The natures ocean sand does have live bacteria in it and it will def. boost cycle times but I'd still be patient and keep an eye on the water. If by the end of week 3 or so you see no diffferences in water quality than you'd be safe to call yourself cycled IMO.

Cameron

It is totally possible that you have finished your cycle. But having said that , it does not mean your biological filtration is ready to handle much of a bio-load yet. I think adding 1-2 hermits would be fine, but keep testing your water for a couple weeks after that before you add any corals/fish.

I have also a minibow 7 and you can check my specs in my profile. My tank appeared to have cycled in a week and a half too so I went ahead an added a hermit or 2. After about 5 days and not seeing a change I added the rest of my cleanup crew. Yes, a little fast, but I havn't seen a spike and my live rock was quite cured. If you drop in 1 hermit I don't think it will create a spike, but I don't know if it will survive a spike if you're rock was uncured and isn't done cycling. Blue Leg Hermit = $1.50...toss one or 2 in and see what happens. At most you lose $3.00, I spend more then that at every meal. But thats just my $.02, and, I'm still a noob.

TheUltimateNoob

Since you have live rock and live sand that are already cured, I'm pretty sure your tank is cycled because there is plenty of bacteria and stuff in there. I had the exact same situation as you. My 10gallon nano cycled in 5 days. Everything is fine in there. You still might want to be 100% percent sure and wait a couple days. Or maybe wait for an algae bloom. But with the LR and LS I think you're ok.

Archived