SaltCritters.com

kH problems

Bill Nye

I have been having kH problems in my tank recently. For the past couple weeks my kH has been between 7 and 7.5. When I test a fresh batch of water im going to do WC with it tests out to 9 - 9.5. How can the kH in my tank be so low when every week I do a ~20 percent change with water that has a 9.0 kH?

As far as stocking goes I have some zoa/palys, a chalice and 2 ricordea. My tank is very lightly stocked..not sure what is going on. I also tested the calc level in my tank and it was at 420.

Thanks for any insight.

It could be that the WC water has not be aerated enough to show the actual long-term alkalinity (likely from elevated indoor carbon dioxide levels). What's your pH level? 7 dKH really isn't bad; it's a the low end of the normal range. Also, if the corals are fine (the chalice is the only one with a hard skeleton), you don't have a problem. This is a good guide to the normal ranges of all major water parameters:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php

It could be that the WC water has not be aerated enough to show the actual long-term alkalinity (likely from elevated indoor carbon dioxide levels). What's your pH level? 7 dKH really isn't bad; it's a the low end of the normal range. Also, if the corals are fine (the chalice is the only one with a hard skeleton), you don't have a problem. This is a good guide to the normal ranges of all major water parameters:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php

Thanks for the reply. When I test my water it has aerated for at least an hour but you may be correct. I have switched salts to ESV about a month or two ago, which is supposed to mix to about a kH of ~9. I was using just regular IO and my alk was always around 10 to 11. There is a window that is near my tank that I always leave open. I am going to try mixing a cup of my tank water outside and see if that changes the story.

i aereate my water for 24 hours. that is the prescribed method. can you get away with less? yes, as i have had to do in emergencies. other than that my guess is your ph and/or mag levels are low. check those out and bring those in line. ph 7.9-8.3, mag 1250-1400

i aereate my water for 24 hours. that is the prescribed method. can you get away with less? yes, as i have had to do in emergencies. other than that my guess is your ph and/or mag levels are low. check those out and bring those in line. ph 7.9-8.3, mag 1250-1400

My mag is around 1400. My salt mixes to about 1460. Last time I checked my ph I was at 8.2. I am gonna run the full gamut of tests again tomorrow and well see what the problem is.

edit

Also the only time I only aerate for an hour is when I make a new batch. I typically make 4 gallons at a time. So that takes me about 4 weeks to get rid of. I leave it covered with a powerhead and heater.

Possibly low Mg, even with a 20% WC. Do you test and add Mg supplements?

Yes although I havent tested in a while. I tested the first 2 batches of water I made with the new ESV salt. They both came to about 1460. My mag was about 1200 before switching salts due to crappy IO. I usually write down all my parameters with the date but for some reason I dont have my last mag test. I believe it was around 1350 though.

Archived