Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Peppermint shrimp with eggs!

EchoReef

I have a pair of peppermint shrimp- i guess theyre now mated pair because what i presume to be the female, has lots of little orange eggs that shes carrying. Im guessing that there is no way i can raise them. Am i correct? Has anyone ever tried? Or is it not worth looking into...

I'll try to post pics tomorrow if anyones interested...

I have two peppermint shrimp and about every 2 months they BOTH get pregnant. They release their babies just into the water at night and i presume they either get gobbled up or sucked into the overflow, but I have not seen any babies running around. IDK if its a hybrid between peppermint and skunk or blood shrimp, or what the story is.

Good luck!

I have two peppermint shrimp and about every 2 months they BOTH get pregnant. They release their babies just into the water at night and i presume they either get gobbled up or sucked into the overflow, but I have not seen any babies running around. IDK if its a hybrid between peppermint and skunk or blood shrimp, or what the story is.

Good luck!

Wow, I just realized that both of mine have eggs too! Last night only one had eggs now they both do!

Weird... :huh:

Shrimp in the genus Lysmata, which contains peppermint, cleaner and I think blood shrimp, are hermaphroditic. When one shrimp molts, the other one fertilizes the eggs. Usually they sync up, so they molt within a few days of each other, or even on the same day.

The babies can be raised, but it takes a lot of work. If you're interested, I'd suggest checking out How to Raise and Train Your Peppermint Shrimp or the shrimp section of MOFIB.

If breeding's not for you, then just be happy. Free fish/coral food on a regular basis!

Shrimp in the genus Lysmata, which contains peppermint, cleaner and I think blood shrimp, are hermaphroditic. When one shrimp molts, the other one fertilizes the eggs. Usually they sync up, so they molt within a few days of each other, or even on the same day.

The babies can be raised, but it takes a lot of work. If you're interested, I'd suggest checking out How to Raise and Train Your Peppermint Shrimp or the shrimp section of MOFIB.

If breeding's not for you, then just be happy. Free fish/coral food on a regular basis!

Thank-you!

Archived