Top Shelf Aquatics

Mag testing

gutterguy

Been having issues with hair alge and the feather style, not sure what that is. Just tested mag level and came out at 1230, i know its supposed to be between 1300-1500, would being down this much be a cause of this, and what is the ideal number to shoot for.

Thanks

Been having issues with hair alge and the feather style, not sure what that is. Just tested mag level and came out at 1230, i know its supposed to be between 1300-1500, would being down this much be a cause of this, and what is the ideal number to shoot for.

Thanks

There is only one type of algae that Mg has been proven to remove. Can't remember the name. Mg is NSW is around 1280 so you really aren't that low. In our tanks we keep Mg higher to help prevent precipitation of Alk and Ca. I like to keep my Mg around 1400.

If you have hair algae it's problably coming from elevated levels of nitrate and phosphate. Try not feeding as much or adding a phosban reactor with some good GFO and GAC.

I had some bryopsis and some hair algae. I used kent tech -m to get rid of the bryopsis. It did take care of the bryopsis, and it also was kicking the ha, but I let my mag levels drop back to normal after the bryopsis was gone. I should have kept it high longer. The ha had decayed so much that cerith snails had began to munch on it.

Archived