Coral Vue Hydros

LED Aesthetics: What do you really think of your color?

Machupicchu

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So after looking at this thread and thinking about your feedback I have decided to try the following layout.

LEDLayoutPossibilities-2.jpg

I am going to start out with all warm white because I already have them (the left hand arrangement). I figure once I see the result I can decide whether to add some cool white.

I am using Cree XPG's for the whites which have a max current of 1.5A so they will be on one driver.

The RB will be on a second driver.

I am fairly sure, based on the feedback on this thread that I should put the Blue (or Turquoise) on a third driver as a little goes a long way.

This leaves the Deep Reds, and True Violets. I am looking for advice on which driver to tie these to. I would really like to not add a 4th driver if I can.

Thanks,

Mark

I can speak from experience that you wont even notice your TVs compared to that many LEDS

Not sure if this has been asked, but who all are running Tv's over their tanks? Just asking cuz I wanted to check out pics of tanks running true violets.

I run them but they can be overpowered very quickly. They are hard to take pictures of but the color pop they can produce is awesome.

He is a old video of my tank with 6 TV running... My next setup will have 12+

In all its glory! CW,NW,DR are in a series. I found this to be the best way to run them without a million drivers. The Blue, Royal blues are also in series together. This combo looks incredible and is by far the easiest thing to wire. The modules can also be ran in a parallel with each other for monster builds. Using a Burquest Gap Pad instead of messy thermal grease/epoxy or thermal tape. This stuff is extremely easy to use and also can be pulled off easily if needed. The overall size is 2.9"x1.5".

6717608347_de05e7819a.jpg

Enjoy!

-Dave

Will this wok for my build you are doing for me?? :rolleyes:

I can speak from experience that you wont even notice your TVs compared to that many LEDS

Thanks. I was wondering about that too. How many TV's do you think would be needed to notice an effect?

4? 8? 12? and what would you replace with them?

Mark

Thanks. I was wondering about that too. How many TV's do you think would be needed to notice an effect?

Mark

I am about to begin a 60 LED build and so far I plan to have 12 TVs. All my colors will be on separate channels so I will have total control.

IMO I would rather have too many leds than not enough. I can always dim them.... but that is just how I think.

Mark

I have 6 TVs over one half of my 120g and I think it is about right. Funny thing is that you really don't even notice what they do for the greens until they are the only channel that is lit.

I have 6 TVs over one half of my 120g and I think it is about right. Funny thing is that you really don't even notice what they do for the greens until they are the only channel that is lit.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I will take this into account.

Might have to add a few more LED's to the build.

Mark

OK, so one last question before I just build it. My tank is 24 in wide by 72 in long by 32 in high. I will have a lot of SPS. There will be (3) 49 LED banks over the tank. The Royal Blues and Whites will have 40 or 60 deg optics for penetration.

The question: For the fill in exotics like blue/turquoise, Deep Red and True Violet, should they also be 60 deg optics or should these be wider 120 deg optics.

Appreciate some feedback.

Thanks,

Mark

OK, so one last question before I just build it. My tank is 24 in wide by 72 in long by 32 in high. I will have a lot of SPS. There will be (3) 49 LED banks over the tank. The Royal Blues and Whites will have 40 or 60 deg optics for penetration.

The question: For the fill in exotics like blue/turquoise, Deep Red and True Violet, should they also be 60 deg optics or should these be wider 120 deg optics.

Appreciate some feedback.

Thanks,

Mark

For a 32" high tank you're going to want to use 40 degree optics on the main arrays. LEDs are very powerful, but 32 inches is a very deep tank. I'd probably go with 60 degree optics on the non-standard LEDs. You could do the 120 degree optics, but you'll have to know that the deep reds in particular will be very weak especially deeper in the tank. Red is the first color to be filtered out by water (though at 32" it won't filter much).

Sorry to jump in here, but how do I know when I have blown my driver? I plugged them in the first time and nothing happened. I resoldered a few joints, plugged it in and voila. I then put the optics on but a couple could not fit because the solder was blocking them so I melted the edge off so it was a little tightier. Then I plugged it in again and the lights dimmly came on and then faded away. What does this mean? Did I just loose the driver, the LEDs, both? I rechecked all joints and found no obvious problems but I resoldered anyways.

In all its glory! CW,NW,DR are in a series. I found this to be the best way to run them without a million drivers. The Blue, Royal blues are also in series together. This combo looks incredible and is by far the easiest thing to wire. The modules can also be ran in a parallel with each other for monster builds. Using a Burquest Gap Pad instead of messy thermal grease/epoxy or thermal tape. This stuff is extremely easy to use and also can be pulled off easily if needed. The overall size is 2.9"x1.5".

6738433607_a176f1ba3a.jpg

Enjoy!

-Dave

Does it have to be screwed into the heatsink it's going on?

I found an all copper cpu heatsink that fits 3 of these suckers BTW.

What are you all thoughts on a 40b mixed reef with 36 LEDs.

All meanwells drivers

driver1-14rb

driver2-2deep red, 2cw, 6nw

driver3-4rb, 2turqouise, 6true violet

What are you all thoughts on a 40b mixed reef with 36 LEDs.

All meanwells drivers

driver1-14rb

driver2-2deep red, 2cw, 6nw

driver3-4rb, 2turqouise, 6true violet

One problem. The standard meanwells can only handle 13 (recommended 12) of the usual 3W LEDs. I think the mix will be good, but keep in mind that the deep reds, turquoise and true violets have a max drive current of 700mAs. For this reason, I think you should keep those on one driver. For ease check out this driver http://www.ledgroupbuy.com/inventronics-40w-driver-700ma/ You might try 2 Deep reds, 2 Turquoise, 2 royal blues, and 6 True violets on that driver.

OK let me backtrack just a taste. I mentioned two builds here recently. Both of them for a 40b. One was a 48 LEDs build on the page before this one I believe and this one is a 36 led build. My thinking was 48leds were too many for a 40b. So I tried to downsize a little bit. Can I keep sps with 36 LEDs in a 40b? If so, is my 36 led suggestion good? Next I want to mention that I'm trying to take advantage of the reef angel controller. It can control 8 channels with pwm module added. In this case I would have to buy buckpucks, buckblocks, flexpucks right? If so, what would be the best way to take advantage of the drivers and channels? And does the reef angel act as the power supply or do I need to buy them? I hope this isn't too much just trying to get my thoughts and questions down

OK let me backtrack just a taste. I mentioned two builds here recently. Both of them for a 40b. One was a 48 LEDs build on the page before this one I believe and this one is a 36 led build. My thinking was 48leds were too many for a 40b. So I tried to downsize a little bit. Can I keep sps with 36 LEDs in a 40b? If so, is my 36 led suggestion good? Next I want to mention that I'm trying to take advantage of the reef angel controller. It can control 8 channels with pwm module added. In this case I would have to buy buckpucks, buckblocks, flexpucks right? If so, what would be the best way to take advantage of the drivers and channels? And does the reef angel act as the power supply or do I need to buy them? I hope this isn't too much just trying to get my thoughts and questions down

That module should be run just fine by the drivers I posted. My 40 breeder runs 42 LEDs (60 degree optics and 700mA) and I don't have a problem with SPS. 36 LEDs at 1000 mA would be just fine (but remember that the "exotic" LEDs can't handle that much current). If you're running buckpucks then yes you'll need to buy a power supply. The reef angel does not supply power (I'm guessing. My Apex does not.). If you run meanwells/invetronics drivers then you won't need to buy a power supply, but you will need to buy power cords. Either way you can control them with the reef angel. I think it'll be easier to set up if you're not running buckpucks.

Magenta is not a primary color. It's a combination of red plus blue. Magenta is basically purple but with a higher component of red.

The opposite of magenta (compliment) is green, and green is that one color we don't have control of. We can control red by using warmer LEDs, and we can add blue by turning up our royals, but green is tought to control hence it tends to wash out magenta and purple.

Lol at fifth grade art

Best combo is t5 and LEDs supplement, I like my growth and color and use LEDs and mh. People with nice LED setups say they love them because they don't want to feel like a dumbass for spenind so much money on technology that's already been out forever just not introduced into the reef hobby. Not to mention by 2014 led prices are estimated to drop by 80 or more percent. Given two years is a long time on this hobby technology wise, I mean hell I remember when wet/dry trickle filters were the ish.

Lol at fifth grade art

Best combo is t5 and LEDs supplement, I like my growth and color and use LEDs and mh. People with nice LED setups say they love them because they don't want to feel like a dumbass for spenind so much money on technology that's already been out forever just not introduced into the reef hobby. Not to mention by 2014 led prices are estimated to drop by 80 or more percent. Given two years is a long time on this hobby technology wise, I mean hell I remember when wet/dry trickle filters were the ish.

Many of our led setups actually cost less than t-5 or metal halide.

Hey guys I posted this in the LED groupbuy forum but I thought I might ask for a little guidance here as well

How does this set up look?

6758207925_35ee3486f4.jpg

Im planning on 3 separate channels--NW,CW--R,Tq--TV,TV,RB,RB,RB

would it be okay to have NW,CW,R,Tq all on one channel?

Didn't really get my Q answered but nvmd. I fixed it and the LEDs are on! I now have a 12 LED setup over half my 55 and 2 Boost PAR30s on the other side..... growing sps with good color.

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com
Not to mention by 2014 led prices are estimated to drop by 80 or more percent.

Not sure what you are getting at with the statement. So you are saying we should spend money on bulbs, electricity etc etc for two more years in hopes the prices drop? Which basically cost more than a current LED setup?

Archived