Pod Your Reef

Media Basket

nick33063

I recently purchased a Biocube 29 that was used and already established since i kept the Bioballs, Sand and Rock (30lbs) underwater there was no cycling of tank at all. In all of my test from day one my ammonia and nitrites were at zero and my nitrates were at 10. So within two days I was able to add my two clowns from my old tank and I've even purchased a few new fish. Now that I have more fish in the tank my Nitrates build up rather quickly therefor I was planning remove the bioballs and go with a Media Basket to help reduce the quick build up of Nitrates in my tank.

Currently, Chamber #1 has Chemipure and Biocube Protien skimmer and Chamber #2 has the stock Bioballs.

My question is how do you transition from Bioballs to the Media Basket? Do you slowly remove some of the bioballs day by day or is it ok to remove all of the bioballs at once. Is 30lb of Live rock and the sand enough biological material without having the bioballs? (see attached image). Since I plan to buy the Media Basket kit with the fish saver does it still provide some clearance form my powerhead cord to go over the fish saver to exit the back of the tank?

Also I plan to get some Cheato and dual 10W lights which i've seen a picture here but can't find the dual lights on your website.

Biocube-021_-Small.JPG

Nick- The "safest" way is to remove a handful of bioballs every day or every other until they are all gone. I would add more rock especially for looks if you want this to be a reef tank. There is not 29 gallons of water but some more rock will certainly help. The picture to me does not look like 30#s of live rock.

The fish saver includes slots on both sides to route cords through.

IMG_1772.jpg

These are the underwater lights we currently sell.

Take this slowly, even with established rock adding anything after two days is risky. Make sure you are doing regular water changes to export any thing stirred up from the tank move.

As for my fist post, do you plan to have the dual 10W light bulbs for sale? I saw a picture here of a refuge light with one power cable then it splits into 2 cables and 2 bulbs.

When I bought this used tank I was told that he had 30lbs of rock. I have more pictures showing the side view of the tank and rock formation.

Side View

-Aquarium-15.JPG

Front View

-Aquarium-171.JPG

The Rocks have alot of purple in them, do you think I need more rocks?

Also I do have an 6 year old 54 Gallon tank with small LR rock in the filter, should I slowly add those in Chamber #3 while I start removing BioBalls?

No do not add the live rock rubble it is the same thing and will cause the same problems as the bioballs. I would put a few more piece of rock in there you want about 40#s in a tank that size.

The lights we have on the site now is what we currently sell.

• 2 weeks later...
No do not add the live rock rubble it is the same thing and will cause the same problems as the bioballs. I would put a few more piece of rock in there you want about 40#s in a tank that size.

The lights we have on the site now is what we currently sell.

Stevie,

I took advantage of WackyWednesday and Ordered my Biocube 29 Kit, Chemi-Pure Ultra, Purigen and the JBJ LED Fuge lights. I started removing my Bioballs a handfull each day until my order arrives. Per your previous comment you recommended more Live Rock to have a total of 40#. Here are new picture of my additional rock and tank layout, do you believe its now enough rock?

Yes looks much better now.

I recieved my order and set it up today! My question is what is the water levels I'm expecting to have in chamber two now? Currently the media basket completely fills up within 1/4" to 1/2" of the overflow, which I already modified for more flow. Now my refuge seems to only fill up only halfway; is that normal? I thought the second chamber would he completely full so the the cheato would be completed under water.

• 3 months later...

I got the media and fuge baskets yesterday and installed them. I did not cut to add more flow yet but will. My question is also about water level. I feel like when level is above basket it doesn't filter through it just overflows into chamber. If its under basket the fuge doesn't fill up. Do I just need to sit there and tweak it, or what? LOVE everything though!! Thx

I keep my water level to just below where the filter floss tray is. That way the water is forced through the basket and into the fuge area.

I keep my water level to just below where the filter floss tray is. That way the water is forced through the basket and into the fuge area.

I thought that's the way it was supposed to work but I didn't like the water level to be that low in the DT. I fill my NC12 up to the very top of the wall...even if the media basket is not working optimally I like the look much better this way.

In the NC12 with the media basket in the intake chamber water has no where else to go but into the basket.

Rc has a biocube which has a completely different design media basket

Archived