Cultivated Reef

Refugium or Skimmer???

CanadianGuy

I've been browsing the board and have noticed that a lot of people on this board say it's neccessary to use a skimmer in a nano tank because of the fequent water changes. I've also noticed that there are a lot of people that disagree...I haven't made up my mind yet.

My question is should I get a skimmer or a refugium first? I can't afford to get them both at the same time. I know you can cycle a tank without a skimmer and depending on the bio-load/stocking I may not even need one, so I'm leaning towards the refugium...am I on the right path here?

I got a piccollo skimmer and I think I will add this to my tank, it cuts down on the amount of water changes... however I'll still do the water changes pretty frequently....

problem is where will I put it!! Not much space in the nano cube...

I'm thinking of adding a refugium behind the tank, then putting the skimmer there

SO, I guess I'd say go with the skimmer first...

just my thoughts

Andre

you can go down either path

a skimmer is more effective at clearing up the water and removing oraganics from the water

i personally setup my 20g w/ a refugium setup as an ecosystem filter where the fuge is packed with macro and the light is on 24/7 to maximize its growth its growth removes nitrates from the water and helps remove dissolved organics from the water the macro is then cut back and removed weekly as the export system of nutients it is very effective w/ low bioloads and can bring a safe heaven for copepods to breed which brings the benefit of a natural food source which is very good for some corals and fish

Archived