ReefCleaners.org

Newbie NanoCube Setup (Cycling)

Positive Trance

Positive Trance

Hello,

this is my first post but first off I would like to thank everyone who posts here. This has been an invaluable resource to me setting up my tank.

I have the following system

12gal (9gal) nanocube

modified the filter (took out the bioballs and the ceramics and one sponge. Moved the charcole one filter part over, mounted the heater in the empty one)

75w ebo jaeger heater mounted in the filter compartment

20lbs live sand (came in a sealed bag from the LFS)

15lbs live rock (figi, from LFS)

I started the tank cycling about one week ago.

I have a redsea marine test kit and a hydrometer

I mixed the water instant ocean with water from the tap, declorinated.

Here are my questions:

1) At this point, is there an advantage to switching out the water to RO/DI water? If so what would be the process to do so, since there is live rock curing.

2) At what point will the tank be cycled and be safe for fish or other critters? How do I test for that?

3) I wanted to get a clown fish or posibly a mated pair in there. I also wanted to get a cleaner shrimp. What are some good species to get for the small nano, and what would be complimentary corals / anenomies assuming I will be sticking with the stock lighting.

4) Critters on the live rock. Is there going to be any, is this rare? If not what should I be looking for?

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

-James

1. switch to RO/DI immediately. If all you have is rock do a 100% water change. Mix the water in a seperate container, match the Specific Gravity, pH, and temp. And just do a total swap.

2. When Ammonia and Nitrites test are 0PPM and have stayed at such for at least 2 weeks IMO

3. A. Ocelleris or A percula clowns would be a good choice, any common cleaner will be fine. I dont know what the stock lighting is. So i cant answer for corals, but i know its not enough for any anemones.

4. Depends on the rock, almost any 'liverock' should have some critters on it, coralline algaes, polychaete worms (bristleworms), possibly small starfish, crabs etc, etc.

NO MORE TAP WATER!!!

Pure water is the base for any reef aquarium. Like the previous poster said, take all that water out and put in new RO/DI mixed salt water. You won't be hurting the LR or LS at this point anyway. I buy my RO/DI water from the grocery store glacier machine, its .30 a gallon.

Tank is cycled when ammonia and nitrite are 0 for at least 2 weeks AND nitrate is >15. Ideal is nitrate at 0 but I am unable to acheive that in a nano. Go slow on livestock additions. I add inverts first, wait a week, and then add 1 fish and wait another 2 weeks. Test for nitrate to make sure it's all OK before adding another fish.

As far as corals I have about 19 in there :D

LSP = 2 frogspawn, hammer, torch, fox, candycane. Numerous zoos and polyps, mushrooms, zenia. It's all doing fine under the stock 24W, though I probably will be adding another 32W CSL retrofit when I get around to it.

Pretty much everything will be OK except SPS and clams.

Archived