Cultivated Reef

what am i doing wrong??

gabbeyshell

last wk i ordered a red brain, got it 8days ago, i only had a 32w supernova. my brain was kind of pinkish on the outside and white on the inside. my pepp shrimp picked at the tissue ( which i'm hoping was dead) so there are some skeleton bared spots. i received my 96w powerquad in yesterday and the brain in 5hrs perked up in color like it is supposed to, but my delima is i fed phytoplankton last night, i didn't see any sweeper tenticles and this am i tried to feed it formula one w/ a turkey baster and again no sweeper tenticles. what the h_ _ am i doing wrong???? is it still acclimating to the light?? my perimeters are fine everything 0, except the ph is 8.0. i dose w/ b-ionic 3x wk., balance blocks, 2 drops of iodine 1 xwk (is this enough), and a wkly h2o change w/ ro/di. i currently have green mush, green star polyps, xenia, torch, ricordia, pearl bubble, and green star polyps that have a whitish dust on them, thought it would go away anybody know what that might be. thanks for getting thru my novel!!! ANY IDEAS MUCH APPRECIATED!!!!!

Originally posted by gabbeyshell

last wk i ordered a red brain, got it 8days ago

so, it arrived 1 day before you ordered it, impressive... :D :D

anyway, give it some time.. if it looks fat and happy it probably is. some peeps keep these things happy and never target feed them..

-skeletor-

it was a joke, as indicated by the ----> :D :D

since you got your light yesterday, perhaps you could lighten up a bit....

how's your brain ? why don't you post a pic of the little fellow ?

-skeletor-

the feeder tentacles usually come out at night. sometimes they'll come out during the day but i find that very rare. hunger or chemical trigger of some sort?

you may want to slightly alter your photoperiod so you can feed at 'night'. many corals actually feed at night when many fauna/flora spawn or venture out. hth

Don't worry about the brain. If it expands (looks fat/inflated) then it is probably doing fine. The tentacles come out at night mostly. I only feed mine 2x/week. HOWEVER, you need to be careful with the iodine. Iodine is not really necessary and too much will kill corals. Get a test kit and see if you need to dose iodine. I never have and my nano has been doing well for over 8 months. Weekly water changes take care of most trace elements. The only things you really need to be concerned with (trace element dosing dosing wise) are the levels of calcium, magnesium, pH and the alkalinity.

Archived