Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

How do i kill these macro algae?

disaster999

since we have a forum specificly on macro algae, i thought ill ask...how do you get rid on them?

this is what im dealing with here...

this redish browish algae is REALLY hard to uproot from the rocks.

DSC_4317.JPG

this is the same as the picture above, but a more pale color

DSC_4319.JPG

then i have these grape caulerpa (and flat worm) growing all over my tank. i have some leafy caulerpa around my tank as well

DSC_4320.JPG

i tried adding tangs to my tank, (100gal tank, back off tang police) but they cant stay alive long enough to help with my algae problem (my tank as ich) i have a reactor running rowa and carbon. water changes once a month. i dose calcium, baking soda and powdered mg. feed pellets the most once a day. reefbooster once a week, as well as my own blend of shrimp, clams, squid, kent fish food supplements and freeze dried cyclopeeze.

i have a bottle of algaefix marine which im thinking of trying. if else fails. anyone know what else can i do to rid my tank of the macro algae?

Does anything touch it? like any invert hermits, mithrax crabs, sea urchin or sea hare? I would've recommended you to send some to John at reefcleaners but I noticed your in Hong Kong, so that wouldn't have worked. I had some derbesia that I sent him and he let me know what would eat it. Maybe try dosing liquid Mg? Any possibility in doing a lights out for a day or so to see if the algae dies off some?

i have a sea hare, some hermit crabs some snails and non of them touch it. i was hoping the sea hare would, but i was wrong.

i will have to try the crab or urchin ...but i dont know how i feel having them in my tank....the urchin wouldnt be too bad since i can easily catch it if i dont want it anymore, crab not so easy.

i have a sea hare, some hermit crabs some snails and non of them touch it. i was hoping the sea hare would, but i was wrong.

i will have to try the crab or urchin ...but i dont know how i feel having them in my tank....the urchin wouldnt be too bad since i can easily catch it if i dont want it anymore, crab not so easy.

I know what you mean about catching a crab... Anyways if you have another small tank I would still try a crab. Just take a small rock with that algae and put it in the same tank with the crab and observe. It'll be your own small lab therefor your able to catch that crab if needed. Also it seems as though pencil urchins eat a large variety of algae so I would definitely give that a shot.

Beware though. The Tuxedo will also eat coralline. Mine gets a new home tomorrow. You would think all my rock was new base now that it has eaten most all of it.

Also Mexican Turbo snails are good for eating red turf. At least my seems to eat it.

Trying to find one small enough for a nano might be an issue. I have 2 and as far as knocking things over,t he snails do but the urchin has yet to. It seems to conform in shape somewhat to the corals it touches. After it has been up against one for a few minutes the corals open back up as though it was not even there.

• 2 weeks later...

well i couldnt find any urchins in hong kong...and i do have a bottle of algaefix marine lying around, so i decided to give that a try

first dose was on saturday, second dose should be on tuesday but i forgot, will dose today when i go home.I removed as much algae as i can from the tank and letting the algaefix do the rest. noticed after the initial dose, some of the hair algae have already thinned out considerably. i have yet to see any change on the other algae but will update if i see any

• 2 weeks later...

its been more than a week since i started dosing algaefix marine, all the hair algae in the tank seems to be gone now, but the other macro algae doesnt seem to be affected. ill give it another week and see if this stuff kills them. if not then i really got to get an urchin...or other extreme measures of killing this stuff

its been more than a week since i started dosing algaefix marine, all the hair algae in the tank seems to be gone now, but the other macro algae doesnt seem to be affected. ill give it another week and see if this stuff kills them. if not then i really got to get an urchin...or other extreme measures of killing this stuff

Turbo snails did it for me.(14g BC) They did knock a few corals over but superglue fixed that. They did such a good job I had to take one back.

I have that Red Turf algae showing up all over my tank. I bought three trubos and they seemed to be working on slowly. Two of them died or were killed by something in the tank the first week. Not that the same thing would happen to you... I bought a Tuxedo Urchin and now that he is settled in, he is an algae eating machine.He is tearing through the algae and I think he is entertaining to watch what stuff he picks up around the tank to wear.

as to livestock best bet is unfortunately the ones previously mentioned. emerald crabs & urchins.

beyond that using tweezer to manually remove. none of these options is great but hopefully the algaefix will work.

Archived