ReefCleaners.org

Please take a look - need some emergency help!

rick4him

I need some quick help. I made a water change today, and something is WAY off..I have no idea how this happened....It is a 34 gallon tank...lots of great corals...great fish, etc...what should I do? Should I start replacing saltwater with rodi water to get the SG to 1.025..? Is everything going to die?

Here are my stats -

SG - 1.034

ph - 7.4

dh 6.72

kh - 120

is this a joke?!

No! I have no idea how my water stats got so high. I'm thinking I'm in emergency mode. Should I get that SG down asap??

lower ur salinity by .01.

is there anything in the tank?

LOTS OF STUFF IN THE TANK! Very expensive stuff. I did a water change today, and something may have been off with my Refractometer....YIKES! Is everything going to die? Can I start lowering it? I know it will be raid, but I'm not sure what to do...that SG is SUPER high...

seriously theres no way this isnt a joke. if this is not a joke then you're beyond help.

how about some actually advice..?

they say nothing good happens fast in a reef but this might not be the case here. its less stressful to lower the salinity than it is to raise it. if ur refractometer is off thats not good. i use the plastic floaty needle hydrometers and im sure its not as accurate, but they last forever. i dont know what KH is but i know PH is soposed to be about 8.3 and dH is soposed to be 8-12

how could you possibly see that your salinity is 1.034 and then have to ask if thats good? i just dont get it.

That was a "typo"....

That was a "typo"....

lol yes i see that your "typo" was fixed by an edit. now at least people will believe you.

i agree with reefer4ever. but you need to be darn sure that your salinity measuring device is accurate. checking your refractometer with RO or even tap water is a good idea at this point. if its way off of 1.000, calibrate to 1.000 and then re-measure your tank. ideally you calibrate with a standard 1.026 solution, but using plain water is just fine for an emergency and i bet most people do it all the time.

lol yes i see that your "typo" was fixed by an edit. now at least people will believe you.

i agree with reefer4ever. but you need to be darn sure that your salinity measuring device is accurate. checking your refractometer with RO or even tap water is a good idea at this point. if its way off of 1.000, calibrate to 1.000 and then re-measure your tank. ideally you calibrate with a standard 1.026 solution, but using plain water is just fine for an emergency and i bet most people do it all the time.

Ok...I just calbriated it, and it is at zero with rodi water..I have NO IDEA how this happend...

what do you think is going to happen? I am replacing water now....I'm dropping it .01...is this going to be super shock to everything? Am I going to loose EVERYTHING?

biggest typo if ive ever seen one.

I thought you were "done"....

i dont know how to use a refractometer but if u put water in it, u might not have rinsed out the saltwater so it gave a faulty reading. does it still say the water is 1.034? like i said, its ALOT less stressful to lower the salinity than it is to raise it. if its not that salty lower it all the way to destination salinity. if very salty, lower a bit tonight, and the rest tomorrow.

I thought you were "done"....

TOO BAD!!!

any updates? have you done anything?

I would slowly drop the salinity over a period of at least a couple of hours. if everything is still alive thus far, a couple more hours will not be as bad as the possible shock you could cause by doing it rapidly.

Do 5 gallon water change every day with correct salinity saltwater from your LFS. This will help lower salinity and balance out all parameters. After the 5th day then start replacing 1/2 of saltwater with pure ro/di water until your salinity is back to 1.025

After that do a few more 5 gallon water changes and you should be alright. If everyone didn't die overnight from a shock and it was a gradual rise and they are still alive then you'll prob be fine.

Ok, few days later and all the fish, corals, etc seem to be doing ok.

Here are my most recent water stats -

ph - 7.9

dh - 10.64

kh - 190

sg - 1.026

What are you thoughts now? Things seem much better? anything standing out to you that's really off?

Should I add some dkh super buffer?

When you write "DH", you mean units of "dKH" (degrees of carbonate hardness). "KH" probably is referring to units of "ppm CaCO₃" (parts per million of calcium carbonate). Both of these units describe alkalinity. 1 degree of carbonate hardness is roughly the 17.9 ppm CaCO₃.

To get a better answer, please try to answer my questions. In the meantime, read this article below to know why all of your parameters are in their normal ranges. Don't add any buffers; your alkalinity is close to the upper limit of the normal range.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php

When you write "DH", you mean units of "dKH" (degrees of carbonate hardness). "KH" probably is referring to units of "ppm CaCO₃" (parts per million of calcium carbonate). Both of these units describe alkalinity. 1 degree of carbonate hardness is roughly the 17.9 ppm CaCO₃.

To get a better answer, please try to answer my questions. In the meantime, read this article below to know why all of your parameters are in their normal ranges. Don't add any buffers; your alkalinity is close to the upper limit of the normal range.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php

Yes, Dh is DhK

Archived