ReefCleaners.org

ORP and it's effects

RayWhisperer

RayWhisperer

Ok, I don't even know if anybody here knows jack about this subject.

My understanding is this. As ORP raises, the environment beomes more negatively charged. If it continues to raise, it will eventually get to the point where the water will strip fish of their positively charged elements. So, basically it's osmotic shock with electrons.

Is that the basic jist of it?

The reason I ask is simple. I'm a tinkerer. Anyone who's been around long enough could have seen a few of my projects. Regardless, I have a new project in mind.

The idea is a cheapo DIY ozone skimming system. Building the skimmer is no problem. I already have a cheapy ozone generator. Now, since this is to stay on the cheap, I need to figure out how to either regulate the ozone going into the system. Or eliminate the ozone coming out of the system.

Regulating input could be done with timers and/or valves from the generator. The problem comes from ORP. Assuming I properly regulate (trial and error)... Does the ORP value constantly increase, or does it plateu once a certain value is achieved?

going even further.... I know I'll need to use carbon to remove excess ozone. Basically a carbon chamber above the skimmer cup is my idea. Now, what about the water exiting the skimmer? Will running it through a carbon chamber eliminate not just the ozone, but also drop the ORP?

if your not pumping a whole lot of ozone in your tank and it tends to plateau around 410-420mV with a good number between 350-375mV. Ozone will dissipate very quickly if not constantly introduce at higher levels the lethal dose of ozone is 550-600mV on the flip side a Orp of 0-150 will make your tank susceptible to disease and 0 is possible if components of sulfur dioxide are present. a good start on ozone dosing is about 1mg per/hr for every gallon of saltwater through a proper venturi tube

From my understanding of ORP it should plateau if you keep the variables consistent. pH and temps can screw with your potential, but if your parameters are stable then your potential should be too.

I've only used Ozone for indoor gardening, so don't take my word for fact when it comes to Ozone in a fish tank. It sounds like Scotty can help more than I can.

RayWhisperer

OK, thanks. That answers a lot of my questions. Now another question and some clarification.

First. This is going on a freshwater Tanganyikan grow out tank. I've decided to use it this way for a few reasons. First and foremost, it's cheap. I'm not going to risk an expensive reef on something I'm only testing out now. Later, if it produces desireable results, I'll impliment it on a reef. Second, it's about as close to saltwater as you can get without going full salt or brackish. Water params for Tanganyikans are very similar to SW as far as PH ALK and the like.

Besides all of that. I really have very little invested in these fish. I've been breeding Tanganyikan and Malawian cichlids for so long, I have enough that if I lose a few broods it's no big deal to me.

Now for another question. I know ozone binds with organic molecules. Now, will it also bond with the calcium alkalinity and trace elements? Basicaly, I'm asking if it's going to adversly affect the water chemistry to where I'll need to start dosing or using a calcium reactor.?.?

Paul, are you retarded? Or is it that I just ramble too much? I tried to simplify evrything to where even YOU could understand it! :lol:

HecticDialectics

god y'all are all noobs :facepalm:

Ok, I don't even know if anybody here knows jack about this subject.

My understanding is this. As ORP raises, the environment beomes more negatively charged. If it continues to raise, it will eventually get to the point where the water will strip fish of their positively charged elements. So, basically it's osmotic shock with electrons.

Is that the basic jist of it?

The reason I ask is simple. I'm a tinkerer. Anyone who's been around long enough could have seen a few of my projects. Regardless, I have a new project in mind.

The idea is a cheapo DIY ozone skimming system. Building the skimmer is no problem. I already have a cheapy ozone generator. Now, since this is to stay on the cheap, I need to figure out how to either regulate the ozone going into the system. Or eliminate the ozone coming out of the system.

Regulating input could be done with timers and/or valves from the generator. The problem comes from ORP. Assuming I properly regulate (trial and error)... Does the ORP value constantly increase, or does it plateu once a certain value is achieved?

going even further.... I know I'll need to use carbon to remove excess ozone. Basically a carbon chamber above the skimmer cup is my idea. Now, what about the water exiting the skimmer? Will running it through a carbon chamber eliminate not just the ozone, but also drop the ORP?

ORP is logarithmic and will stabilize assuming ozone generation is stable and aquarium parameters are stable. When you first start using ozone, the ORP will rise, but it will slow down and stabilize around a certain number. The exact number it rises to depends heavily on the aquarium and no one really knows what causes it to be 250 or 300 or 500 in one aquarium but not another. If the ORP is too high, you just have to use less ozone. activated carbon won't drop ORP, just ozone levels.

ozone is dumb. :faceplam:

RayWhisperer

No need to facepalm this, HD. I'm really just doing this for the gadget/tinker factor. I've never used ozone and searching the interwebz hasn't yeilded me with too many answers.

Edit; The unit I have produces 100mg/h and is going on a 55 gallon with a 20 gallon sump.

RayWhisperer

Yeah, I knew you were doing a bit of trolling, like Paul. I'm losing my interweb mojo, if I ever really had any to begin with.

Why the F would I ban him for doing a bit of trolling? I'm guilty of it myself from time to time. Probably moreso now that I'm a mod than ever before.

RayWhisperer

Perhaps you are correct... I think it's time to try and restore some N-R mojo....

DH, you've been banninated. LOL!

RayWhisperer

Thanks, Lak. Very interesting article. Kinda left me with more questions than before. Though that seemed to be the whole point of it.....

• 1 month later...

Using ozone on a freshwater tank will kill your plants. The high oxidation level effectively removes all iron and most likely some other nutrients as well.

Probably not an issue with your setup.

Archived