Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Help! wierd growth on my clownfish...

SW20Rida

I recently introduced this new false perc in my system about two weeks ago and he wasn't eating that much. Recently this brown stuff has been growing under his chin and is starting to grow inside his mouth, preventing him from closing it all the way.

IMG_0219.JPG

IMG_0217.JPG

He also can't eat because he can't open and close his mouth. Does anyone know what it is? Some sort of fungal disease or something? How do I treat it?

It looks like a fungal infection, I think Maracyn is commonly used, check to make sure it is saltwater safe. I would suggest a quarantine while treating with any meds, they can destroy your tanks beneficial bacteria colonies.

Yea it does look like he's growing a beard! Anyways, I posted over at Reef Central and some guy told me to double does Furacyn. Anybody have any experiences with this particular antibiotic? Will it adversely affect any of my corals, mainly talking about my BTA and my frogspawn.

• 2 weeks later...

You need to remove him to a QT tank and treat him. It's never a good idea to treat in your main tank. Antibiotics will kill all your biological life (pods, possibily inverts too).

Archived