inTank Media Baskets

What Lighting Is Better For My 10gal

FISHHEAD

I AM STARTING A 10 GAL SALT TANK I WANTED TO KNOW WHAT LIGHTING IS BETTER FOR A 10 GALLON TANK

i have laying around mini might lights i think they call them ? (4) 9 WATT LIGHTS (2) 0.3 BLUE AND (2) WHITE

A TOTAL OF 36 WATTS

or 1 36 watt 50/50 smartlight

any feedback will help ............... thanks

Fish: I would put the 36watt 50/50 smartlight and the 2x Minimights on that 10 gallon. 2x mini mights are just barely enough. Multiple 9 watt bulbs are probably not as good as 1 36watt bulb. Also the Minimights are not actinic 03 they are 7100k "blue" lights (at least the old ones are). they won't flouresce as well.

Then again it all depends on what you want to keep. If you like SPS and clams, that light will not do.

then who cares? you could put a 15watt normal flo bulb on there. Cant blame Jahkaya, after all, this is a nano-REEEEFFF forum, not just saltwater fish chat here...

hey, hey, dont take it personal, i didnt mean it like that...

but hey Chron could be right so I gotta ask...ARE YOU SUUUUUUUUUURE you dont want anything besides fish?

Not that it would be a big deal to upgrade later anyways I suppose. You would only be swapping out say, a $10-20 light to replace it with a nice bright one...

(wet) did'nt take it like that at all , i was just saying when you first started you just did'nt know everthing thats where i'am at ?just learning , reading, and doing.

anyways i did not know that you can just have any type of lighting for just fish , and do you know what is the min. for maybe some starter coral's ......

thanks for feed back any would help ???

For fish only it doesn't really matter what kind of light, I mean I wouldn't go using a 75w light bulb hung over your tank but a NO bulb is fine. I said what I said because I speak from what I have done, I started FO in a 10gal and 3 light setups later, 3 tanks later I am home. I currently have enough to setup 2 of my past tanks completely with the mistakes (items) I have made. I didn't just jump in either, but your wants/needs change. Just be sure if you're gonna do it, do it right.

All I have to say is if you're not going MH (I doubt you would) your safest bet for the long run would be a 96watt PowerQuad w/ the legs for ~$100 and you'd be set for many things. Sure there are a few cheaper options, but IMO short of MH the powerquad is the thing that would end up saving you money in the end.

Archived