ReefCleaners.org

Anenome found on new LR

RoderickGibson

RoderickGibson

I am a newbie to this.

I put some LR in my setup. Now I find it has a 2.5" anenome, mid brown, long tentecles, no tube around base.

How do I ID it, or do I just kill it?

Roderick

Picture helps ID's. if it is plass brown almost see thru, it most likely is an aptaisa. If it is green brown and a little striped with defined round tentacles, it may be a majano. Both are considered pests, but at least the latter looks ok compared to aptasia.

RoderickGibson

I just killed it, dug it and all parts of it out the LR. I have a blenny that has suddenly go a bit strange, very lethargic, not feeding, pale and twitchy - could it have been stung?

Roderick

if it was aiptasia, you probably didn't do yourself a favor... aiptasia can spread like a bizznitch if you just cut it... imho aiptasia is best killed with calcium-hydroxide (kalkwasser) injections though there are certain types of shrimp and fish that eat aiptasia as well as many other ways of ridding yourself of these pests...

hth

RoderickGibson

Thank you all for your help!!

I didnt cut it, I cut away the rock which held it so I hope!! it doesnt come back

On the sting issue, could it sting fish and if yes is it fatal

Roderick

Do a search for Joe's Juice. The stuff kills aptasia and mejano anemones. Small bottlle is something like five bucks and free shipping for the first order.

Archived